Chapter 6: The Coffin

The night hordes attacked, and when we'd defeated a small group of them, the ground had split open, and we'd fallen through several levels past the catacombs to a room with a coffin positioned on an angle. Trevor suddenly stepped on something, and we paused. The coffin opened, and a bare-chested man with a scar across his chest floated out, seemingly unconscious. The man landed on the floor, his head bowed. Then, he spoke. 

'Why are you here?'

'The story... the Messiah sleeps under Gresit!' Sypha gasped in realisation. 'The man who will save us from Dracula.' The stranger seemed to take this as a satisfactory answer. 

'And you?' he asked. 'Are you in search of a mythical saviour?' 

'I fell down a hole,' Trevor blurted out. 

'What about you?' the stranger said, his eyes slightly glancing up at me, and I was almost frozen to the spot by his gaze. 

'I'm with him,' I said, inclining my head to my brother. 'He's my brother.' 

'Dracula is abroad in the land,' Sypha spoke quickly. 'He has an army of monsters. He's determined to wipe out all human life wherever he finds it.'

'Is that what you two believe?' the stranger asked. 

'That Dracula's released his horde upon Wallachia? That's fact. There's no "belief" involved,' Trevor replied. 'But that's not what you're asking. You're asking if I believe you're some sleeping messiah who'll save us, and no, I don't.'

'Belmont!' Sypha hissed, but it was no use. 

'I know what you are,' Trevor growled. 

'And what am I?' he asked, almost teasing Trevor. 

'You're a vampire,' I said, half in disbelief. The man looked up with golden eyes and a cunning smile. 

'So, I have to ask myself, have we come down here to wake up the man who'll kill Dracula,' Trevor began to ask, 'or did we come here to wake Dracula?'

'You call me Dracula,' the stranger said, floating down to meet us.'

'I'll call you anything you like if you're going to show me your teeth,' Trevor said. 

'She called you Belmont,' he said. 'House of Belmont?' 

'Trevor Belmont. Last son of the House of Belmont.' 

'And you?' the man asked, fully fixing me with his gaze, and it was almost like I felt compelled to bare my soul to this man that I hardly knew. The man with the golden-eyed gaze and the silky-smooth voice. 

'Alyx Belmont. Last daughter of the House of Belmont.'

'The Belmonts fought creatures of the night, did they not?' the man asked. 'For generations.' 

'Say what you mean,' Trevor snapped. 

'The Belmonts killed vampires,' the stranger said, glowering at Trevor. 

'Until the good people decided they didn't want us around.' 

'And now Dracula is carrying out an execution order on the human race. Do you care, Belmont?' he asked, still looking at Trevor. 

'Honestly, I didn't. No. But now... yes, it's time to stop it.'

'Do you think you can?' the stranger asked. 

'What I think... is I'm going to have to kill you,' Trevor growled. 

'Belmont, no!' Sypha exclaimed. 'He's the one we've been waiting for.'