Chapter 13: New Dawn

Alucard rose from the floor, as did Sypha. Then Trevor, and then me. 

'Is - is that it?' Sypha asked in wonder. 

'Alucard,' Trevor said, looking at the half-vampire. 'Did we... do it?' 

'We did,' Alucard said, morose, staring down at the floor, where the carpet was burnt away by the flames, and all that remained of Dracula was his wedding ring, that he hadn't stopped wearing since Lisa Tepes had died. 'I - killed my father.' 

'You ended a war on humankind,' Trevor replied blankly. 'Don't get weepy about it.' Sypha held up her hand. 

'Trevor's right,' she said softly. 'You saved countless lives. But it's alright to mourn the man, too.' Alucard finally looked up at us. 

'He died a long time ago.' 

The four of us entered the great hall, where the carnage from the earlier battles still remained. All was quiet and sorrowful. I caught Alucard staring off into the distance, and came up to him, gently placing my hand on his arm, and he looked down at me. His eyes were still sorrowful, still so quiet. Trevor and Sypha came up to us, and the magician put her hand on my back as I wrapped my arms around Alucard's arm. Sypha held Trevor's hand with her other hand, and we walked out into the light of the new dawn. 

Trevor, Sypha and I walked into the great hall again. 

'What do you think he's going to do now?' Sypha asked thoughtfully. 

'I had a plan, you know,' Alucard replied, coming down the steps. 'I was going back to Gresit... return to my vault - go back to sleep.'

'But?' I asked pointedly. 

'If I leave the castle here, all his work is inside it. His libraries, his materials, his knowledge. What happens to all that if the structure is abandoned? I can't just leave it here. It'd be nothing but a grave to be robbed. So, let it be my grave.' His face was crestfallen for a moment. 

'No,' Trevor said. 

'No?' Alucard asked, looking up at the Belmont. 

'No. We can't move this thing. Sypha broke it.'

'I did not,' she replied playfully, crossing her arms. 

'You kind of did.'

'I do not break things.' 

'So, we agree she broke it,' Trevor replied. 

'Oh, yes,' I said with a chuckle. 

'So, it's staying right here, forever,' Trevor said. 'Right on top of the Belmont Hold, which is now also open to the world. Up here, your father's collected knowledge. Down there, the collected knowledge of your mother's people. As above, so below. Both halves of you, Alucard.'

'I'm listening,' Alucard replied softly. Trevor came to stand next to him, clasping his shoulder. 

'Behold, you sulky half-vampire bastard. I bequeath you the Belmont Hold,' he said with a bow. 'Make that and the castle your home, not your grave.' I smiled, dipping my head. 

'As do I. As the last daughter of the Belmont family, let this be your home. I too bequeath you the Belmont Hold. Be its last defender.' 

'You're giving me your home?' Alucard asked softly, looking at the two of us. 

'It's yours,' Trevor replied. 'Our childhood home and your childhood home,' he added, looking over at me. 'Protect it. Make something out of it. Something better than a pile of ruins and a symbol of terror.' Alucard lowered his head. Speechless. Sypha came forward, clasping his shoulder tenderly. 

I found Alucard a while later still poking around the castle. 

'Still looking around, I take it?' I asked, leaning against a bookshelf. Watching him. He gave me a side-eye. 

'The other Belmont is typically attached to your side. Where is he?' 

'Trevor and Sypha... they took a walk. It's just you and me for a bit. Look, about your father -' 

'Save it, Alyx. You had nothing to do with his death.' 

'I wanted to say I'm sorry. I know that even in the throes of his rage and death - I know what he meant to you. I'm terribly sorry.' 

'You truly care.'

'I do.' Alucard put down the thing he was eyeing, stalked over to me, and grabbed my face, capturing my lips with his effortlessly. Caging me up against the wall, he kissed me deeper, then pulled back sharply. 

'I'm sorry,' he said. 'I - I...' 

'Just shut up and kiss me, Alucard,' I said, and grasped his cheek, bringing my lips to his. We shared another long kiss before breaking apart. 

'Is this what we are now?' he asked in a husky whisper, our foreheads touching, breathing hard with the aftermath. 

'I suppose so.' 

'Stay here with me. Live with me in the castle.' 

'Alucard, I - you're asking me to leave my brother.' I stepped back, becoming quiet. 'He's the only man I've been around for years, ever since our family was wiped out by the church. I have a deep bond with Trevor, and I can't just shake that. We've been through hell together.' 

'You don't want to live here?'  

'That's not what I'm saying, Alucard. I'd be happy to live here. To settle. Unlike Trevor, the Belmont fighting life was not made for me. I'm not as strong or as smart as Trevor. I can't wield a whip like he does. I can't fight like he can.' 

'You do fight awfully well.'

'That's not the point. I want to live here. I really do. But it's going to take time. Trevor's been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. He's been my brother. My confidant. My friend. My protector. And I need to know that you can protect me and care for me as well as he does. Yes, Trevor may act like a drunken toddler with anger issues, and as idiotic as he can be, he is my brother, and I love him terribly. So much so that it would kill me if I couldn't give him a proper goodbye.' 

'So - you want to live here?'

'I do. Very much. I think it is time for me to move on. To step into being somewhat happier than I was at the start of this journey.' I stepped forward again, giving Alucard a tender kiss. 'To brighter days,' I said softly. 

'To brighter days,' he echoed, and kissed me again.