Epilogue: Departure

Trevor finished packing the wagon as Sypha stood with Alucard and me. 

'Be well, my friend,' she said softly, clasping his hands as he stood there with a crestfallen expression on his face. A ghost of a smile came across his face. 

'You too. Don't let that idiot get you into too much trouble,' he replied, looking at Trevor as two sacks from the wagon fell on top of him. 

'Never.' She chuckled. 'Well, maybe just enough trouble.' 

'Just enough,' I said softly, taking Alucard's hand and walking with Sypha. He helped Sypha up into the cart. 

'Be well, Alyx,' Trevor said. 'Promise me you won't let Alucard annoy you too much.' 

'We're on better terms than you'd think, Trevor. More kissy-kissy terms.' Trevor scowled, with an undignified snort. 'I love you too, Trevor.'

'As do I, sister.' Trevor leaned across, holding up a hand in farewell to Alucard, who responded with a middle-finger gesture and a crooked smile. 'Fuck you,' he said softly to Alucard, and urged the horse to start moving. 

Alucard and I walked back into the castle, coming back up the steps that led out of the great hall. Alucard momentarily froze on the steps, seeing something that I didn't. I nudged him for a moment, and after a good, long, hard minute of silence, he looked at me, then walked away. 

'Is this how the castle felt to you?' he said softly, trailing his hand up the banister as he walked. 'Before my mother first arrived at your door?' He turned, looking down at me. 'Can I show you something, Alyx?' I trailed after him. We entered the study, and he righted the portrait of the blonde woman, and then righted the chair. I knelt, looking at the portrait. 

'This was your mother?' 

'Lisa Tepes,' he said softly. 'Yes, she was my mother.' 

'She's beautiful. I can see the resemblance,' I replied, looking up at him. 'She must've been a lovely woman. I'm so sorry.' He sat down in the chair with a bump, again looking at the open doorway, seeming to see something that I didn't. Suddenly, his hand began to shake, and tears spilled from his eyes as he put his head in his hands and sobbed. I came to him, letting him weep on my shoulder. Taking his face in my hands, I kissed him. His tears soon mixed with our sweet kisses, and he gently urged me to sit on his lap as we kissed further. We broke apart, foreheads touching, as I wiped the rest of his tears. 'Our house, Alucard. Not a grave.' I kissed him again.