Chapter Nine

The captain leads her past a giant, four-poster bed and through an arched doorway.

It leads into a small bathroom. Victoria's eyes widen as she spots pipes coming up from the ground, linking to the copper taps that hang over the tub. She turns to look at the captain.

"How does your ship have plumbing?" she asks, shocked. He doesn't answer. Instead, he barges past and turns on the taps. Water splutters out and he puts in the plug. Victoria's mouth hangs open in shock. He opens the doors of a small cupboard and pulls out some soap. He puts it down roughly on the windowsill next to the bath.

"Close the curtains," Victoria says as he leaves, gesturing to the deep red material that hangs on either side of the doorway.

"No," he replies.

She glares at his back, crossing her arms.

"I won't look," he tells her calmly, "but I'm not having you completely out of my sight."

"What can I do in a bathroom?" Victoria asks, exasperated. He stops, turns, and just glares at her. Victoria huffs, gritting her teeth.

"You'd better not look," she grumbles, knowing that her scales will show up in the water. Because it is a shallow bath, she'll be able to resist the full transformation, but that won't stop the scales from glittering on her skin.

He turns and walks over to his desk. "If I see you so much as peak," she begins.

"What will you do?" he asks rhetorically.

"Eat you," Victoria mutters lowly under her breath.

"Eat me?" he asks, turning to face her. Her eyes widen and she turns away from him. She hadn't intended on him hearing that.

"Just turn around," she tells him. He lets out a huff and carries on walking. She peeks over her shoulder to look at him. He pulls out his chair and takes a seat. He looks down at his desk and begins scrawling over the papers. Victoria sighs and quickly shimmies off the dress, watching him wearily as she does so. He remains completely focused and uninterested in her, thankfully.

Quickly, she sinks into the warm bath. A long sigh leaves her mouth, and she dunks her head under, submerging her whole body. For a few moments, her body feels pleasantly light. Her hair floats around her and the world goes quiet. She shuts her eyes and relaxes, not needing to worry about air.

She hears a muffled shout and sits up quickly.

"Victoria?" the captain shouts. She looks over at him. He still sits at his desk at the end of the room and his eyes haven't strayed from his papers. In fact, he is still writing.

"What?" she hisses.

"It was too quiet," he says calmly.

"Really, I can't lie in the water for one minute?" she huffs. He raises a brow but doesn't look up.

"One minute?" he asks, "it's been ten."

"Oh. I must have fallen asleep."

"Don't do it again, unless you want me to come over and check you haven't drowned," he warns, his tone bored. Victoria pulls a face at him and then splashes the water loudly. He closes his eyes and sighs. Victoria smirks and dunks her head back under the water again, though this time, it is only for a few seconds.

For another twenty minutes, she stays in the bath. She smiles, playing with the water. It has been a while since she used some of her magic. Her fingers tingle as she makes little tendrils of water dance elegantly around her hand. It isn't much, she used to be able to move the water enough to create giant waves. Now a few flicks here and there are all she can manage. Unfortunately, all the time on land has left her disconnected from her magic.