Chapter Seventeen

"Victoria," the captain snaps. "Go with Thessaly and Aurora to change." He turns to his sister. "She needs to look like one of us."

Thessaly and Aurora grin at each other. Victoria also smiles and goes to step toward them. Before she can, the captain holds out his arm, stopping her.

"Listen up! There will be no discussions about what just happened. No one even mentions the word..." he pauses, "mermaid until after this whole summons is over and we're back on the ship. No mermaids, no curse, no talks about how to break the curse. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Captain!" everyone shouts. 

He turns to Victoria. "You and I will be having some words once this summons is done," he says, his voice stern.

Victoria smiles awkwardly and nods her head.

The captain sighs. "Go," he says and gestures for the three of them to leave.

Victoria skips excitedly to the girls and they drag her off the deck. Behind them, the captain starts shouting orders to prepare for docking and the ship becomes alive with rushing pirates.

"Victoria, Victoria, Victoria," Thessaly sighs as she opens the door to her room. "You have a lot of talking to do."

"I thought the Cap said no talking about mermaids," Victoria says, following the girls inside.

"Since when did Thessaly ever listen to the captain's orders?" Aurora chuckles, opening her wardrobe. "Now, trousers or dress?"

"Trousers," Victoria replies, pushing past Thessaly to the wardrobe.

"Victoria," Thessaly moans. "Come one, stop stalling and start talking."

Victoria sighs and sits on their bed, crossing her arms.

"What do you want to know?"

"Thessaly, let's just leave it for now and focus on getting her ready. We also need to explain the rules of Ship Wreck Cove."

"Okay," Thessaly sulks, then she smiles coyly at Aurora.

"What?" Victoria asks, narrowing her eyes. 

"Come on Vici, let's get you changed."

"You're up to something," Victoria says as Thessaly drags her up off the bed.

"Me?" Thessaly asks.

"Yes, you," Aurora says, draping her arms over Thessaly's shoulders and kissing her on the cheek.

Thessaly turns slightly and the two share a look that Victoria can't decipher. She frowns, but just before she can ask about it, Thessaly rushes over to her wardrobe.

She pulls out some clothes and throws them at Victoria.

"Get changed."

Victoria throws off the captain's coat and reaches for the trousers.

"It's good to see you look so healthy again," Aurora says as Victoria awkwardly pulls up the tight leather trousers.

"It's good to feel healthy again," she jokes.

"You looked horrific, I could practically count every rib," Thessaly says.

Victoria pulls on the ivory blouse and then Thessaly helps her with the brown corset.

"Done," Victoria says.

"No," Thessaly tells her and then pushes her down onto a seat. Aurora reaches for some make-up and starts applying it to Victora's face whilst Thessaly starts styling Victoria's hair.