Chapter Twenty-Two

Dinner that night is quiet. After a day of heavy emotions and lots of hard work, Victoria struggles to even keep her eyes open.

She helps clean up in a daze, before stumbling back to the captain's cabin. She yawns as she opens the door and then collapses face-first into the bed. The captain sighs from his desk.

"Bathe first," he grumbles.

Victoria pulls a face but reluctantly stands. She groans as her muscles ache deeply and then stumbles her way into the bathroom.

It is as she's relaxing in the warm, bubbly water, the captain speaks. His voice is close, like he's sitting on his bed now and not at his desk.

"I heard Thess and Aurora showed you downstairs," he says calmly. Victoria shuts her eyes and pauses before letting out a shallow breath. A chill spreads through her as she remembers looking upon that poor soul. It isn't a sight she is ever going to forget.

"Yes," Victoria finally replies, her voice just louder than a whisper.

The captain stays silent for a few moments.

"Are you angry?" Victoria asks, biting at her lip.

"No," he replies softly. Something in his voice makes tears sting in her eyes. She bites her quivering lip and curls her legs up to her chest.

"Victoria?"

"Yes?"

He pauses and she hears him approach and come to a stop on the other side of the curtain.

"Now you know why you can't have your own room," he begins and Victoria interrupts.

"I was never after my own room," she says quickly. "Not really. I told you plenty of times that I don't mind sharing. I know some of the crew sleep in hammocks below deck. I would have been happy with one of those."

"I know," he replies.

"Then why have you kept me here with you for so long? And don't say it's because you're scared I'm going to attack your crew. We both know it's a bullshit excuse."

"Because you scare me, Victoria," he replies. She freezes, her mind going blank with confusion.

"I scare you?" she whispers. Then, she frowns and clenches her fists. "Just because I'm a mermaid does not mean I-"

"Not like that," he snaps, then lets out a long sigh.

"You've bought life back onto this ship, Ria. You've bought joy and hope that none of my crew has experienced for over fifty years. We have been sailing across this ocean for a century in limbo, with no purpose, our senses dulled to anything that could bring joy or pleasure. We have been nothing but empty shells. Slowly, one by one, my crew, my family, have given up." His voice begins to shake and goosebumps ripple over Victoria's skin as she listens to him.

"I have had to watch my family, the people who I am meant to protect, slowly whither away. I remember every single moment in time when a member of my crew told me they were done. I remember each of them as they walked down those stairs and into the darkness, knowing they will never come up but could also never leave, never be at peace. They lie beneath my feet right now, alive whilst their bodies and minds decay into nothing but sludge for the Sea Witch."

He pauses and lets out a long, shaky breath. Silent tears fall down Victoria's cheek and her body becomes horribly cold.

"I carry that burden with me every day. Every waking moment, I live in fear that another member of my crew will come to me and tell me they are going downstairs. I know, if this curse isn't lifted, they will go to sleep, one by one, until I am all that is left. Until I am the captain of a ghost ship, guarding the rotting bodies of everyone I love."