Chapter Eight

The three teens strolled down the gravel street. Charcoal clouds hid the sun, which shone a magenta hew. Kenneth presumed it was late afternoon...

They walked down a dark narrow street, blank doors on seemingly run-down apartments.

Halo nudged Dior. "Di, where exactly are we headed?"

"The beach—I mean, I dunno what we're supposed to do so I thought we'd just chill," Dior replied knowingly. "The water's cool; it ain't blue like normal oceans..." A playful smirk formed on his lips.

Kenneth could imagine an ocean as a variety of colors. He'd seen green seas before, but knowing how strange the different universes could be—this ocean could be hot pink; similar to the sun here, or any number of colors.

Turning around a corner and crossing a miniature courtyard-like space, the three of them stepped into the open onto black sand—the first ground Kenneth had seen other than gravel. Ahead down a sandy slope, foggy waves crashed on the shore.

Kenneth initially thought the water to be navy blue, but with closer examination...Kenneth squinted—was it a bluish purple?

A red and white shine streaked through the water's midnight-purple current.

"It's different, eh?" Dior nudged Halo who stared transfixed at the waves as if she had found a jackpot of gold.

Halo's fingers fidgeted at her sides with her skirt. "It's... what color is that? Indigo?
It is safe, innit?"

Dior hesitated but then shrugged. "I've been in it. I ain't dead yet..."

Halo tittered, but put a hand over her mouth to suppress her laughter. "It's quite the sight to take in..." Halo breathed in the salt air. "The air is sweeter than at other beaches I've been to." She faltered as if overcome by an impulsive thought. She smiled, and then stumbled down the sandy slope as she pulled her chunky shoes off.

Kenneth watched in surprise, but didn't follow her. If she doesn't die, then I'll know I'm safe, he joked to himself.

Dior sat cross-legged at the top, leaning against the high metal wall that lined the entire back of the beach. Farther to each side, Kenneth saw other passageways in the wall, not unlike the one they entered through.

Kenneth slid down against the wall, careful not to sit too close to Dior. He honestly wouldn't mind splashing in the water; he had never been to a real beach before—only lakes.

Halo's voice rang from down the slope, "It's cold!" She stood ankle-deep in the water, rippling over her bare feet.

Dior smiled, although now that he was resting, he appeared quite exhausted. Looking at the dark circles under his bloodshot eyes, Kenneth pondered if Dior had slept for more than a few hours in the past week.

Kenneth hugged himself as a chilly breeze passed. "Hey, Dior?" he said slowly.

Dior glanced at him, eyebrows raising. "Look who's finally talking," he pointed out, faint humor in his low tone.

Kenneth internally told himself not to glare. "I was just wondering what exactly you do—like for work," he replied.

Dior bent his head back, cracking his neck. "At first, I just took supplies—universe rings, food, tools—to different shelters and universes. I kinda just do manual labor now. But I've also saved a few people from universes recently—it's different..."

Kenneth scooped a handful of black sand, picking through it for no particular reason, and he asked, "How long have you been working?" He remembered Halo mentioning that she met Dior four years ago, which Kenneth found strange now that he thought of it. Dior would have been twelve...