Chapter Twenty-Eight

Kenneth gasped as he sprung up in a bed.The murmur of voices drifted in from outside the metal tent. Other beds were arranged on both sides of his own, some empty and others occupied by the injured.

Bandages wrapped all up Kenneth's left arm and, uncomfortably, thin bandages wrapped around his chest under the loose green shirt he wore. Although, any wounds anywhere else on his body were magically sealed.

What really bothered Kenneth, was the leathery feeling on the left side of his face; from his collarbone up to his eye. Where was a mirror when he needed one?

Stepping off the bed, Kenneth found his wounds were quite painless, other than achy bones and a shortness of breath. Maybe the wispy being was right about him being capable of fighting. All the sudden, that afterlife and the blue wisp almost felt like a dream; he couldn't recall all of their conversation, and he had no idea what the being looked like except that it was, in fact, a blue wisp.

Kenneth's eyes fell to his left-hand and to his horror, he counted four fingers. He almost toppled with nausea, although he wasn't exactly sure why. His remaining fingers bore magically sealed cuts but only the knuckle base remained of his ring-finger, sealed as well. How hadn't he noticed it immediately?

Of course, it made sense–that finger had borne the ring which had exploded. But the sensation that he could still feel the finger that wasn't present was disturbing.

Kenneth stood straight, taking a deep breath—at least it was his nondominant hand.

He pulled on a pair of slip-on shoes he found beside his bed and he exited the tent. He scanned the camp for Halo and when they made eye contact, the look on her face told him that she hadn't expected him to be up and walking.

Halo jumped to her feet from a folding chair and did this weird half walk, half run to him. "Kenneth, what are you—I didn't think you'd be awake," she blurted. "Are you okay?"

Kenneth nodded. "I'm fine, I guess," he replied. He hugged her, a hand in her white hair. When he was on that horvas, seconds away from blowing himself and the Interitus up, he hadn't thought he'd ever have her in his arms again.

"Don't hurt yourself," Halo said, sounding on the verge of tears. Her arms only lightly hugged him, as if he were fragile.

Kenneth gently pulled her face up to his. "I'm okay," he said reassuringly. He kissed her although not long before Halo pushed away.

"Oh, I just feel awful," she said, eyes casted down. "Your injuries and the wound on your face..."

Kenneth's brow furrowed. "What's wrong with my face?" he asked, voice low. He almost felt insulted but since he couldn't see his face, he mostly felt insecure.

Halo's large eyes flickered to him. "Nothing—I didn't say there was something wrong with it. It's only awful that all of this happened to you," she replied. "I'm surprised you have the strength to walk."

Kenneth remembered the wisp. He almost told her but the topic was strange and felt private.

Halo said, "Kenneth, you were dead but...at some point, your pulse returned. Even Brel was confused."

Kenneth opened his mouth but couldn't find words. He noticed Halo's puffy eyes and shiny red nose—how long had she been crying? "You know, miracles happen," he said, forcing a smile.

After a moment, Kenneth asked, "How long was I, um, dead or whatever?"

"Only a short while," Halo replied. "Maybe a quarter of an hour..."

~
Brel and Aur still stared at Kenneth as if expecting he should fall over dead any moment, or that he were a walking corpse.

"Why haven't the Venenarius evaded the black tower?" Kenneth asked. "It would've made sense to do it yesterday." Apparently, it was only the day after the battle, according to Brel, but it felt like ages ago now.