Chapter Twenty-Four

Early morning snowflakes speckled the dark leather armor. Kenneth strapped a piece over his forearms. A turtle-neck long-sleeved tunic squeezed his torso and arms, and under leather armor pads, he wore durable pants. He was told the clothing was durable against curtain spells, but the armor added to the protection—resistant to spells too.

    Kenneth sat on a folding chair in the front yard, surrounded by tens of thousands of soldiers—giving a claustrophobic feel. On the ground and hanging on portable stands was every weapon imaginable, all enchanted. Swords, guns, spears, bow and arrows, crossbows, hand-held bombs, and even more. Nearby, the blue skin of the Horvas stood out from the crowd—Aur was probably over there preparing them.

    Kenneth only had a few minutes to finish strapping the confusing armor on and bid Kenaly and Jade farewell before it was time to go. He was aware people had already begun teleporting. The plan was to teleport a few miles from the tower and keep a low profile until the attack was ready.

    Halo had probably already left; he hadn't seen her since they awoke at the crack of dawn. Kenneth had hoped they had created an understanding last evening but apparently not, because Halo was still going to be a nurse at the battle site. He admired her resilience but her presence would add to his anxiety. That evening now felt like a dream—a different lifetime in front of the lake, in that intimate moment—if only he could go back.

    Kenneth jumped to his feet the moment he finished strapping on the armor, and he ran into the house. He had definitely taken too long getting ready, and he didn't want to be forced to rush the parting with the people staying behind.

    Despite his initial desire to properly say goodbye to Kenaly and Jade, Kenneth dissociated as Kenaly expressed her love and worries, and he awkwardly hugged her and kissed Jade's forehead before stepping back outside.

    Brel walked up to Kenneth, holding a magically enchanted sword. "Kenneth, are you properly fed and ready?" he asked. Although his tone was serious, his brown eyes indicated a caring concern.

    Kenneth nodded. "I just need my weapon."

    "Well, this is yours," Brel said, handing the sword to him. Kenneth still hadn't gotten used to the heaviness of the black steel sword—wasn't there a way to make the sword lighter?

    The doctor led Kenneth around the house, near the barn. A few horvas stood in a group, armored and ready to be teleported.

    "You're short," Brel said.

    "Gee, thanks," Kenneth muttered.

    Brel gave a serious stare. "You're short, so it was decided you should ride a horvas. You're least likely to be killed if you're higher, and you'll have a fighting advantage," he said. "You can ride, right?"

    Kenneth nodded. He slid his sword in a long sheath that was attached to a belt on his waist, and he climbed onto the bony blue horse-creature. He could tell this one was Walvin.

    "Go to universe one billion, six million, two thousand, one hundred and sixty-seven, and four miles from the black tower," Brel instructed, handing two universe rings to Kenneth.

    "Two?" Kenneth questioned.

    "I thought you should have a back-up, just in case you lose one," Brel said, giving a wink.

    Kenneth smiled, feeling a bit better. He put one ring in one of his pants pockets and he slid the other on one of his left-hand fingers. "Take me to universe one billion, six million, two thousand, one hundred and sixty-seven, and four miles from the black tower," he said to the ring.