Chapter Nine

"Guys, Rygel wants to talk to me alone," Dior said, placing his plate on the counter that he sat on. Rygel had been kind enough to give dinner to them at his shop. "Y'all could go to the beach or library or something." He looked at Halo. "It won't be long."

Halo nodded, promptly standing. "That sounds good—I hope everything is alright."

Kenneth nodded as well.

Rygel appeared out of a walk-in storage closet in the back room, holding a crate of bags full of presumably merchandise. He made eye contact with Dior, and Kenneth wondered how serious their private conversation would be.

Halo snatched Kenneth's wrist, pulling him out of the shop with way too much enthusiasm. "I think we should take this opportunity to explore—of course, without becoming lost," she said once they were outside.

Kenneth rubbed his wrist which Halo had twisted. "Um, sure."

***
Dior watched Kenneth and Halo leave through the blinds on the front window. "What's so important?" he asked, turning to the old man. He pulled his leather jacket off—feeling warm—and placed it on the front counter.

Rygel stood oddly still. "I want to close the store—for good," he said grimly.

Dior stared. "Close it? But you're doing so well," he said. Out of his peripheral vision, a multi-colored pen lay on a display case and he approached, interest piqued. "Honestly," he started, a faint smile forming. "If you need help, just ask me—or maybe Kenneth, 'cause I'm gonna go back to my work soon."

"It's not like that...I'm afraid it won't last long," Rygel said.

Dior observed the multi-colored pen, wondering what he could draw with it. "Why?" he questioned.

Rygel sighed; Dior couldn't understand why he looked so stressed. If Halo were here she could read him—unfortunately Dior was never too good at that. "The Interitus are coming," Rygel said.

The pen fell from Dior's hands, bouncing on the wood flooring and rolling under a shelf. "Why in the universes would you say that?" He stared with narrowed eyes. "We both know the Bishop shelter is being hidden by spells. The Interitus can't find this place, unless..." His voice faltered.

"Unless someone tells them," Rygel finished.

"But how'd you know that? Did another stupid Venenarius join the Interitus?" Dior asked, arms crossing. "Just tell the Venenarius here, they'll fix this before an attack starts."

Rygel stepped forward. "No, Di. You don't understand," he said, placing a pale hand on Dior's shoulder. "I told the Interitus."

***
Halo and Kenneth wandered through the narrow street, in the direction of the beach. Kenneth wouldn't mind heading to the beach but as they approached the passageway, Halo turned down another. Down this new street, a playground was perched in a fenced area—the gate propped open.

"Would you like to swing?" Halo asked, staring at a set of swings in the playground. "You know about swings, right?"

Kenneth nodded. "I guess..." He couldn't draw his focus from Dior and Rygel. "What do you think they're talking about?" he asked.

Halo walked through the gate as she said, "I don't like to speculate about other people's conversations. Dior tells me everything so we'll have to see." She smiled as she plopped down on one of the swings.

Kenneth sat on the one beside her. Halo kicked herself off the ground, swinging back and forth as her eyes fluttered closed. Kenneth stared momentarily—how could someone look so peaceful?