Chapter Nineteen

An Interitus took Kenneth's chains off and made him stand; his knees buckled under his weight and his vision blurred, but he ignored it.

Kenneth closed his eyes, not wanting to glimpse someone being decapitated by the cutting spell. His stomach longed for food; he stood still with his eyes shut tight, waiting. He listened to the Interitus' quiet discussions, but even though his ears had begun to heal, he usually only heard muffled whispers.

Someone grabbed his arm, starting him out of a restless sleep,  and pulled him out of his cell. Kenneth felt confused and surprised; he hadn't expected to be taken out. Panic filled him; was he going to die?

Kenneth sighed in relief when the Interitus took him away from the cells instead of cutting his head off. The Interitus led him down the gravel streets.

The Interitus must've not cared to clean up after the war. Kenneth glimpsed many decayed and rotten bodies—well, he guessed they were bodies, none of them actually looked like people anymore. He held his breath, not wanting to smell decayed flesh.

Kenneth had lost track, but it had been at least three weeks since the battle and at least a week since he saw Halo. Why hadn't he healed yet?

They turned a corner where the library had once stood, but now the only thing there was a pile of shattered glass and fallen bookcases. He hoped they didn't have to walk much farther. His legs shook beneath him and his vision grayed with dizziness.

They turned down into an alley where they met a group of Interitus, each of them holding someone hostage. On the ground were crates full of winter jackets and gloves. Some sort of ghostly chain formed around Kenneth's wrists and all the prisoners were pushed into a group. A few of the Interitus grouped together to discuss while others watched the prisoners.

Kenneth gazed at his feet, tired eyes half closed. Strings stuck off multiple parts of his tennis shoes, the original red of his shoes was replaced with a dull brown, and holes were burnt through the tops. His shoes could've been a decade old, but he only bought them just before the school year started.

"Kenneth?" A man's voice said next to him.

Kenneth looked to his side. Brel stood next to him. Kenneth never realized how tall the doctor was. Brel glanced hesitantly at the Interitus and then said to Kenneth, "Are you okay? Where's your friend Halo?"

Kenneth frowned, dully looking away. "Dunno..." He murmured. "They took her away days ago," he said in a dead voice. He hadn't whispered a word since that day, and now talking felt strange.

"Are you okay?" Brel asked, speaking so closely to Kenneth that he could hear his slow breathing; Brel probably did so to not attract the Interitus.

Kenneth chose not to respond. The question was stupid. What did Brel expect to hear? A long vent about how awful the past weeks had been and how there was no reason to live? About how Kenneth's stomach growled every night? About how he could feel himself wasting away?

Kenneth looked at the Interitus as they began to put on winter jackets and gloves. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Brel stand straight and look away—clearly understanding that Kenneth didn't want to talk.

Kenneth stared confused when an Interitus threw a winter jacket and a pair of gloves at him. Where were they going? Kenneth slipped the jacket and gloves on. The gloves were thin and worn and probably wouldn't give much warmth; the jacket didn't feel much better. All the other prisoners put jackets and gloves on—although some didn't get a pair of gloves or a jacket because there wasn't enough. Kenneth pitied a woman and a man who didn't get either.

Interitus grabbed rings and began teleporting prisoners away.

Brel looked at Kenneth, thick eyebrows lowered in worry. Kenneth noticed how bad the doctor looked; his beard was longer but thin, his cheekbones were prominent and his brown eyes were tired. His clothes didn't look much better—it sagged on him, looking like he lost weight.