16💌 she likes someone

Maybe I'm reading things wrong but Isabella seems to be avoiding me. I'm not seeing things wrong, am I? I rest my hand on my chin, glancing down at my desk. 

The notebook is gone. 

H is gone. 

Why is everything disappearing?

I look over at Isabella but her eyes remain forward. 

Away from me. 

We never really talk in class, she's always kept her distance during lessons and I want to respect that so I don't instigate anything. But this time it feels different. 

As soon as the lesson ends I turn to her but before I can even open my mouth she's out of her seat. Rushing to get out. My brows draw in together. Maybe I'm overthinking?

I take out my notebook and peel off a page, writing something in it. Same thing with H, maybe she's just off somewhere. Maybe she lost the notebook somehow. I can't just assume that she's gone.

I place the note where we always kept the notebook and get up, going over to my locker only to see Isabella in the distance. 

I stride past my locker and stop once I'm near her. Her eyes widen at the sight of me but quickly goes back to her usual doe-eyed look. Yeah, her eyes are pretty big. 

They're pretty. 

Wait, this isn't the focus right now.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

She shuts her locker and turns on her heel. Walking away. "I'm fine." I hear her say from a distance.

Okay... So I wasn't imagining. Something is definitely wrong. I chase after, walking next to her, not having to take as many steps to catch up.

"What happened, did I do something?"

"You didn't do anything."

"Then why're you like this?"

"Like what?"

"Distant. It's like you're drawing a line."

She looks up at me, her dark brown eyes drawing me in. "Drawing a line? I don't get what you're saying, this is my usual self." It's only now that I notice how sunken her eyes are, deep eyebags covering them. 

And the slight puffiness too. Has she been crying?

She tries to leave but I grab onto her hand, holding her firm in place. Her face is turned away from me. "Something happened. What's wrong?"

Something in my tone shakes her up since I can feel how her body starts to shake in my grasp. She lets out a meek sigh and then finally looks over at me. Her expression solemn.

"There's a boy I like—"

"Who?"

She goes quiet, slight confusion from my sudden interruption. Honestly, I'm pretty confused too.

"Anyway... I like someone and I don't want him to get the wrong idea."

"Wrong idea?"

"Yeah, about us. I don't want him to think I'm into another boy so I feel it'd be better if we kept our distance." She pulls her hand away from my grasp and leaves, taking hurried steps. I want to go after but something pulls me back. 

So all I'm left to do is watch.