21💌 your notebook

Where I'm running to I don't know. But as long as I'm not there. As long as I don't have to hear his answer I'll be alright. 

The sound of Bianca's distant laughing rings in my ears. Enveloping my mind, my brain, my everything. And suddenly I can't breathe again. 

My clothes are too tight, the air is too cold and everything is too loud.

I heave and heave, struggling to get any air in. Something grabs my arm and instinctively I jerk it away. 

I'm scared. 

Is it Bianca? Did she chase me? Is she here to tell me how Noah turned me down, how he doesn't want anything to do with me anymore? 

I'm crying. Downright sobbing. Oh no, I look so pathetic. I can't let her see this.

I keep my head down, away from her when a soft voice pulls me in.

"It's me, Isa, it's me."

My head turns to him, being drawn to his voice. His face takes my breath away. Making my beating heart calm. It's a relief... to see you.

He gives me a soft smile but I can see the worry in his eyes. He's about to speak when Bianca stops him, notebook in hand. "Noah?"

He looks at me for a moment longer than necessary before looking over at Bianca. Turning his body in a way that makes it feel like he's shielding me from her. I can't help but notice how broad his shoulders are.

"Give me the notebook."

"What? But Noah—"

"Give it to me." I've never heard Noah sound like this. There's layers of fury in his voice, yet it still manages to sound so calm. 

Bianca goes quiet and soon I can hear the clacking of her heels. Noah takes the notebook then turns to me with a smile, handing it towards me.

"This is yours, right?"

I stare at him and nod awkwardly. Slowly taking hold of my notebook. The soft feeling of the thin cool cardboard pressed against my fingers being one I didn't know I had missed. 

My mind feels at ease from the comfort.

Noah looks back at Bianca. "Stay away from Isabella, your business with her is done."

"But— No! This isn't how—" she stutters, her usual demeanor falling apart. "I made copies! I'll just spread those across school and let everyone know how much of a loser Isabella is!"

My heart drops. Tears threatening to fall again. But seeing Noah look back at me, with a comforting smile, one that says "Everything will be alright." stops the tears from falling. 

He strides towards Bianca, getting close to her. I can only see a peek of her face but even from back here in this dark night it is clear to me how burning red her cheeks are.

"Burn the copies."

"I won't."

He places one hand on her shoulder, leaning in, "Listen, Bianca, you don't want to know what I'll do if you dare to hurt her again."

She staggers backwards, clutching her body with her arms and quickly turns around. "Screw this! You're not worth all this effort Bella!" And soon, she is gone.

I stare at the scene. My mind not processing what I've just witnessed. Noah steps back to me, gently pushing one of the hairs that went astray out of my face. "It's okay now. You're safe."

"I'm — huh — I'm safe?"

"Yeah," He gives me a soft smile, "you are." For a moment everything goes quiet. The air, my mind, my soul. It's all still. Silent. "She won't hurt you anymore."

I blink at the sight, my eyes still on the entrance to the school where she'd gone. She's gone. She's actually gone. After all these years... she's gone.

The tears fall and I can't even care to wipe them. I laugh. Who would have thought that her tyranny could actually end? That Bianca won't always be after me?

I look over at Noah — who's had his eyes on me the whole time — quickly remembering what just happened. What he knows. Before I can even react Noah pulls me back into him, burying his face on the crook of my neck.

"You're not getting away from me, so don't even bother trying to run." I can feel his voice vibrate through my whole body.

The sensation causes me to blush but I try to swallow it. "Erm... thank you... for helping me with Bianca."

"That's not important."

I'd say it is.

"Do you like me?" His question makes my heart jump. He lifts his head up, peeking at me with eyes I can't lie to. They glisten in the moonlight. I gulp.

"I do."

He gets up and looks at me with a wide smile — one that shows his dimples, "Thank goodness."

Hm? Huh? Thank goodness?

I'm looking up at him now, his hands steadily holding me by the waist. My hair falls back as his flutters over his eyes — a deep desire in them.

He pulls me in, slowly, melting my lips with his. They're soft... and sweet. I can't help but close my eyes so I can let the feeling envelop me. I can feel his smile on my lips. He pulls back for a moment and lets out a soft whisper, one that tickles my lips, "I like you too."

end.