Chapter Four

Damon actually finds it rather easy to find Daphne....or the Phoenix anyway. Like a beacon, he finds her. She's stood away from the town, nestled away in the trees of the woods. She's isolated herself from others. If that doesn't prove that she is different this time around then he doesn't know what does. The stories painted the Phoenix side of the curse as a destructive force of nature that craves chaos and pain. But she's had a chance to kill, she could have killed them at the hospital and in the parking lot, and yet she didn't. She chose to flee both times. Damon approaches her slowly, though he is aware that she likely already knows he is there.

"I know you have that necklace" She states without turning around, a small ball of fire bouncing around her hand. Damon glances at the necklace dangling in his hand.

"You had to know they'd try" He argues, she chuckles darkly and shrugs.

"I could scorch the flesh from your bones" She points out as the flame in her hand gets brighter. He nods.

"I'm sure you could too" He agrees. "The others...." He starts.

"They sent you to do it hoping that Daphne's emotions are fuelling me" She interrupts him. "You really think that you can talk me around?"

"Not me" He argues and reaches into his jacket. "I figured it would have already worked if it was me" He adds and then pulls Pad out of his jacket. He holds the niffler out towards her. "But him" He steps closer to her. "If she is truly gone" He whispers as Pad reaches out for Daphne. "Then you would have no trouble killing him" She lowers her hand, the flame disappearing before she walks towards him. She grabs Pad from him, non to gently and Damon takes a step forward to stop her. She smirks a little and gives him a look.

"You think this creature will what?" She asks him, tilting her head. "Pull at my heartstrings?"

"Like you said....you are a part of her" Damon reminds her. "All those pesky human feelings that tied her to this world are part of you too" She wrinkles her nose, annoyed at that concept. But she can feel that he isn't wrong. She assumes that is why things are different from the stories. There is likely more to it, but it does make some sense. Daphne was a good person, had a good moral compass, and as such, the Phoenix has syphoned someone of that into herself. They are one and the same, there has to be some crossover. Hermione might be right about emotions and feelings. Daphne and the Phoenix are connected, literally sharing a body and mind. There is bound to be some blurring of lines. It could be why she didn't straight up kill him or Elena or Stefan. Daphne's own feelings towards them gave her pause, even if she was unaware of why she didn't. Damon takes a step closer to her, playing on her distraction of thought. "Show her that they are wrong about what you are" Daphne glances at him. "All they have are some stories that have been passed down through years and years and years. Stories that have lost facts. And all that's left is the monster" She sneers a little. "If you cooperate" Damon steps closer to her. "If you show Daphne that you can be reasonable, then don't you think she'll show you the same back....?"

"She'll let me out?" She asks him. He pauses a little and lets out a breath.

"I don't know" He is honest with her, she'll know otherwise, but it might help too if he chooses to be honest with her. If this works, then he and Daphne will still have to live with her. Essentially, there is now a third person in their relationship. Fourth if Pad counts. If they can't get rid of the Phoenix, then they need to learn to live with her. "But if you show her that you're not all bad...that everything she fears about you is wrong, then surely she'd be more likely to consider it" He points out, she lets out a breath, considering it. Because he's not wrong. She knows Daphne, she knows what she fears, she knows the stories that she's been told, all the warnings. If she is exactly what they say then she is proving them all right. If she behaves and cooperates and works with Daphne, instead of fighting against her, then maybe Daphne would be more willing to work with her back.

"You know her well" She states and looks down at Pad who squirms in her hand.

"I know her enough" Damon agrees a little. "And I know she'd try" She clenches her jaw and squeezes her hand around Pad who squeals before she stops, softening her hold. She hands him back to Damon.

"No," She tells him. Damon closes his eyes and sighs. "A prison is a prison, no matter how wide the windows" He opens his eyes and looks at her with a shake of his head.

"If you go off and be that monster.....then they will kill you" She laughs and gives him a look.

"They can try" She argues.

"And then you will prove them all right" He counters. She scoffs and steps away from him.

"You are here because of her" She points out. "Saying whatever you think will make me step back....you don't actually believe any of this"

"You're a mind reader" He reminds her. "Why don't you take a look?" She shakes her head and lets out an annoyed breath. He's pushing her patience. And he can guess that when it snaps it will be fiery and painful. "I know you said you won't trust me" He tries. "And I get it" She glances at him. "But take a shot on her" He motions to her head, implying that she should trust Daphne. "She's the best person I know....by far, and if you trust her" He steps closer to her. "Just her, no one else....Because that's all that matters, right?" She pulls a face. He's right. She and Daphne have to figure something out. They have to. If it falls on either side with one of them winning out then something is lost. If Daphne wins, the Phoenix is locked away, if the Phoenix wins then life will be destruction and pain and possible imprisonment by magical authorities if they can do it. Either way, they lose. But if they work together, if she can prove to be cooperative, then maybe a compromise can be met. He stares at her a moment, waiting for her to say or do something but nothing comes. He shakes his head with a scoff and turns to walk away from her.

"Logic is sound" She whispers and he lets out a breath as she repeats something they've both said before or some variation of it at least. It sounded so much like Daphne at that moment. That waver that is the Phoenix, an echoey darker tone of voice, slipped. "Damon" He frowns a little because that really did sound like Daphne. A hand touches his shoulder and he sinks into it. He doesn't want to hope that it is her. After this whole day, it would be too much to hope. But he has to. He has to look. He takes a deep breath and turns to face her. Her eyes have returned to 'normal', meaning that the orange glow in them has disappeared, the veins from her face have gone too and she seems more Daphne right now.

"Red?" He asks, she nods a little and tries to smile at him, but it comes across as pained and haunted. She takes his wrist, lifting up his hand where the necklace dangles from his fingers.

"It's okay" She whispers and takes the necklace from him. He watches her. Literally can't move because it is actually her. It is really Daphne standing in front of him. She pulls on the necklace and lets it settle on her chest against the hospital gown. "I've very aware that my ass is hanging out" She admits, he laughs a little and nods.

"Ah, no one will mind" He assures her as he shrugs out of his jacket. It's not really going to cover anything, but it might just make her feel more comfortable. She pulls that one too, but he will take her home after this and let her change into something more comfortable. "I'm sorry" He whispers as he threads his fingers with hers at her side. "I couldn't...." He leans forward and rests his forehead against hers. "I ran out of time...." She curls into his chest as she closes her eyes. He strokes her hair and then wraps his arms around her.