Chapter Five

Draco sets a mug of tea on the bedside table, careful not to wake Daphne who sleeps on the top of her bed. But she's already awake. She's been listening to them all downstairs talking about her. It's not a great experience. Hearing them talk about her as if they don't believe in her. Not all of them, but enough of them are worried about her and the Phoenix. She's right there with them. She has dreaded this day for years. She has no idea how she is supposed to do it. If she can even do it. She knows going back to Hogwarts is a good start though. She supposes that is the best place for her right now. She peers at Draco as he starts to leave. She should talk to him. About what she said when she was in control.

"Draco" Draco pauses in the doorway before he turns to look at her as Daphne pushes herself up to sit back against the headboard of her bed. "About what I...what she said" She starts "I don't...think that you're a" She rolls her eyes. "Pussy" She assures him.

"Daphne" He goes to stop her but she shakes her head.

"No, just...." She sighs. "I actually think you're really brave"

"Come on" He argues.

"You changed" She voices. "You saw what the war had done to people, to children....and you changed yourself" Draco clenches his jaw and looks away from her. Whilst she is right, he still thinks he could have changed earlier. "And now you are friends with your former enemies..." Draco hums a little. "You work under Hermione...." He gives her a look and she just smirks at him. She knows the stories. She knows who he was and what he did. He has changed significantly since his school days. He moves towards her, sitting on the edge of the bed beside her.

"Perhaps seeing you and Lyra..." He goes to defend but she snorts.

"Nah" She argues. "You changed before that and personal growth and change is daunting. Staying the same is easy...So I think you are very brave." She whispers. He touches her chin and then pokes her nose.

"You can do this" He assures her. "You can learn to live with this Phoenix" She lets out a long breath and then shrugs. Draco takes her chin between his fingers to lift her head. "You have spent the last eight years being prepared for this eventuality....You were the top student of your year, every single year.....if you can't do this, then what hope do the rest of us have of doing anything" She snorts a little but smiles at him. "You have to do this..."

"I know" She agrees softly. "I will" He gives her a proud and encouraging smile. He is not the only one who thinks she can do this. Even if they are all worried, they all do think she can do this. They've watched Daphne grow up. They've seen just what she is capable of. They all know that she can overcome this. She just needs the time and the space to do it. Hogwarts is the best option for her right now. They have the people that can help her and if it goes wrong, she can be contained. Draco pats her hand on her knee and then stands to leave her alone. To let her drink her tea and pack what needs to be packed.

........

"I've been thinking" Daphne starts as she closes the lid of her trunk, she's packed everything she wants to take with her to Hogwarts. Damon hums a little in acknowledgement from where he lounges on her bed. He didn't want her to go through this alone, but got bored of packing so he let her do it whilst he relaxes, offering moral support when she needs it. "Perhaps it would be best if we..." Daphne closes her eyes and lets out a breath before continuing. "Split up...." Damon turns his head to look at her.

"What?" He asks. "Why?

"Because I am leaving" She whispers sadly, turning the gnome ring around on her finger. "And I don't know how long I am going to be gone...." She looks at him and gives him a sad smile. "I don't want you to wait forever"

"So your solution is for us to break up?" He asks her. Less upset and annoyed than she thought he would be. It's Damon, she was expecting arguments and blowouts. He sits up and stands from the bed.

"Damon" She scolds. "I could be gone for years trying to control this" She points out. He pulls a face and shrugs. "I just don't think you should sit around and wait..." He moves to stand in front of her at vamp-speed. He brushes her hair back from her face and then leans forward to press his forehead to hers.

"I told you that I was willing to stand watch over your buried corpse forever" He reminds her. "Why would I give less to you whilst you are alive?" She closes her eyes and leans into him. "After everything we've been through....don't flake on me now" She lets out a breath and shrugs a little. She likes his enthusiasm regarding their relationship but she doesn't think it would be fair for him to wait around for her to control this. It could take her years, decades to get a hold on this, if she ever does. She doesn't want him to wait if there is a chance of him finding someone else. But the thought of losing him pains her more than anything else. She loves him. Losing him would kill her.

"Okay," She whispers. "But..."

"No, buts" He stops her. "I'll be here" He assures her. She smiles and nods.

"How will you survive without me?" She teases weakly. He chuckles and shrugs.

"Ah, sure we'll manage, somehow" He counters. "It won't be as magical but...." He nudges her nose before he kisses her firmly. This is likely going to be goodbye for a while. It hurts. But it needs to be done. Daphne needs to get control. She needs to be able to live with the Phoenix. And then she can come back.

"Will you keep an eye on Elena and Jeremy?" She asks him. He nods and brushes his thumb over her cheek. "And Bonnie" She adds. "I have some books" She moves away from Damon to her dresser. "We were meant to go through all the magic stuff when things settled..."

"We were meant to go away" Damon reminds her. "Take a holiday" She nods in agreement. "I was looking forward to seeing you in an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini" She laughs a little and touches the pile of books on the dresser.

"Make sure Bonnie gets these," She tells him

"Red" He warns.

"Don't" She stops him. "Because if I think about what I am walking away from...I won't go" She admits and swallows. "I have to go" He nods and sits on the edge of the bed to watch her.

"You can do this" He assures her. "You're the strongest person I know....." She scoffs a little and glances at him. "We won't have survived Klaus without you"

"It meant nothing" She argues. "He came back...Bonnie...She...."

"He threatened you and your corpse" He counters. "She knew what was at stake, she was trying to prevent...." He stops and she nods. She knows why Bonnie helped Klaus to jump into Tyler's body. Bonnie and Damon both really knew the risk of tampering with Daphne's corpse and Klaus likely saw how much the threat scared her. He knew it was a sore point. Daphne doesn't blame Bonnie. She doesn't blame Damon. She knows it was her doing. She chose to do that spell. She knew the risks. It was on her.