Chapter 1: Unbecoming

Sydney Marie Elise wakes up from a strange dream she had of another life that seems all too real to be a simple dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Oh, Nova... I wish it never had to be this way, but it is the only way to keep you safe. To keep you safe from them...from me.'

'Haze, you don't have to do that; not when you had absolutely nothing to do with it.' ... 'I don't care. If you go down, I go down with you; it's what friends do. It's already decided, and there's no way you're gonna change my mind.'

'I can't have them take all this stuff away. All this...this is the only thing I have of my bio-parents; the only thing I have of finding them, of knowing who and what I am. I need to know what I am, or I'm...I'm nothing.'

'Nova will be fine, with or without me. She has you. You said you wanted to train her; this is the perfect opportunity. While I'm away, you can spend time with her, get to know her...be a father to her. She needs you.'

'I don't understand! Why do they do this to us? Why are they so desperate to kill you when you've done absolutely nothing to them? Why can't they just leave us alone? Let us live? Let us be normal?'

'I'm sorry, Nova. I understand the guilt and anger you're feeling but killing that pirate won't bring your father back.' ... 'I don't care! She deserves it! All of them! The Silence included! They did this to him! To us! They should all be destroyed!'

'You wish for us to give you a chance to prove yourself, but you refuse to give yourself a chance. You refuse to remove your own veil. You refuse to be accepted as you are.'

'We don't own the universe; we explore what has yet to be discovered! We save what has once been lost! We heal what has once been damaged! We correct what has once been wronged! Those are the true meanings and responsibilities of being a Time Lord!'

'I told you. The Time Lord plague must be purged, and you and your mother were always the ones to do it. You two were born to kill the Doctor, and now you will finally fulfill that destiny. Welcome to the family, Nova Susan Song: The New Woman to Kill the Doctor. Become one of us!'

'I know I've said this a million times, and I will keep saying it until my last breath. You are seared onto our hearts always, Nova Susan Song, and nothing will ever change that. Not one thing.'

The sound of my alarm wakes me up with a jolt, rudely interrupting me from my deep slumber. Sighing heavily, I reach over to slam the "snooze" button on my alarm clock before laying back down on my bed, running my fingers through my tangled hair, and feeling highly tempted to go back to sleep, back into the dream I just had—a dream filled with mystery, suspense, wonder, and adventure.

"Wow!" I exclaim to myself. "That was a crazy dream! A time/space-travelling blue box that's bigger on the inside... My father was a bow tie-wearing alien from another world... A sinister cult was constantly hunting me because they wanted to train me as an assassin against my father... Man, I really need to stop eating too much ice cream before bed. It's become a seriously bad habit." I glance back at my alarm clock, which reads 9:00am. After turning off the alarm fully, I get out of bed, shower, and get dressed for the day into jeans, a T-shirt, running shoes, and my favorite rose-printed denim jacket.