Chapter 10: Interrogated by a Rhino

Nova has, apparently, been accused of murder, though she and her father believe that the accusation is false, despite what the Judoon say. Can the Doctor prove his daughter's innocence in time?

----------------------------------------------------------

I have no other choice than to remain silent. Not that that's a huge problem, because I am already rendered speechless anyway. This can't possibly be happening, and yet it is, which bears two questions that I am completely unable to find the answers to at this very moment:

Why? And How?

Why is this happening, specifically to me?

The better question is 'how.' How is this happening? Moreover, how in the hell could I have possibly murdered a king while in a coma? An alien king, no less; especially one that I've never even heard of?

Why do these sorts of things keep happening to me? Why do these sorts of things always keep happening to me?

"This has to be some kind of mistake!" my father protests to the space-rhinos. "My daughter would never kill anyone, much less a king! Plus, she's been with me the whole time! Granted, she was in a coma in all that time, but there's absolutely no way she could've killed a king while in a coma!"

"There is no mistake!" the chief rhino replies. "The human/Time Lord hybrid known as Nova Susan Song has, indeed, been witnessed in the murder of King Astorvox of Margonia! There is no deception involved!"

Dad shrugs. "Well then, if you say 'there is no deception,' where's the proof, eh? I won't let you arrest my daughter until I've seen proof that she, indeed, was responsible for the murder. So go on then; show us proof. We'll wait."

The argument then continues for another minute straight. Admittedly, I don't understand the majority of the argument, but I at least can understand bits and pieces, such as "Judoon are not authorized to adhere to civilians' requests," etc., and Dad does absolutely everything he can to prove my innocence, using phrases along the lines of "Under Article [blah-blah-blah] of the Shadow Proclamation, you can't arrest someone right away unless [blah-blah-blah]." Meanwhile, I'm standing here, still with my arms up in surrender, because that's all I know how to do in the moment.

However, I begin to get the vibe that no matter what Dad says and does to prove my innocence, the Judoon don't seem to care because they are gigantic assholes. This makes me wonder how Dad managed to convince them to help him save my grandmother at Demons Run all those years ago, and that maybe the Judoon only agreed to help because they were simply in a good mood and didn't feel like pissing anyone off like most general police officers do.

Unfortunately, the Judoon seem to end up winning the argument, because Dad eventually sighs in seeming defeat and says with a groan, "Fine. Then can I at least say goodbye to my daughter before you take her away?"

The chief Judoon glances between us for a few seconds before complying seemingly reluctantly, "Privilege accepted. You have one minute."

Even though a minute isn't long enough for a proper goodbye (assholes; I told you), Dad thanks the alien anyway before he asks him to give us a bit of privacy and turns me away from them. Once the rhinos are out of earshot, Dad whispers to me, "Alright, Nova, we don't have a lot of time, so we need to make this quick, okay?"

"You can't let them take me away!" I say in an immensely annoyed tone. "Whatever they think I did, I didn't do it!"

"I know you didn't, and I promise we'll figure this out together."