Chapter 2: Laser Tag 2.0

Sydney finds out that her dreams are becoming all too real as a familiar Sontaran (not Strax) enters the arcade, much to her excitement (and Hazel's horror). When she confronts the Sontaran, she discovers something truly horrifying.

A/N: Yeah, I know it's the toy Sontaran in the image, but pretend it's the real one :)

--------------------------------------------------------

"Get down!" I cry as I instinctively tackle Hazel to the floor behind the pinball machine. We manage to duck just in time as bright red laser beams sail right over our heads, burning holes through the wall and arcade machines behind us and sending sparks flying.

"Die, human scum!" the armored Sontaran screams and cackles maniacally as he shoots at and chases the other people as they duck for cover and/or flee in terror.

"I can't believe it!" I exclaim, not out of fear but rather out of excitement, as I watch the Sontaran pass us by and head toward the back of the building. "I can't believe it's actually here! In real life! That means it wasn't a dream, after all! It's all real! That Sontaran is real!"

"Yea! It's real; that's so awesome!" Hazel says in a sarcastic tone instead of a joyous one. "Maybe we should celebrate after we manage to get out of here in one piece! If we manage to get out of here in one piece. I think I see a way out without getting shot. Let's go!" At this, I immediately hear her move away from me, using the other arcade machines as cover, but pause again about ten feet away.

However, I pay her no mind, keeping my focus on the Sontaran. "But wait!" I ponder aloud. "If the Sontaran is real, then that means that everything else is real! The Doctor, River, the Silence—they're all real too! Even the TARDIS is real!" None of it was all a dream like I previously thought. Every single part of what used to be just a dream is real!

But the question now is: how is it all real? More than that, how can I seem to remember two lives at once—my current life as well as my former life as Nova? How is this even possible?

As I am thinking all of this, Hazel groans, saying, "Great! Can we talk about this after we get out of here? I'm not sticking around to have an arm shot off for no reason!"

However, I speak to myself again like Hazel isn't even here. "The last time this happened, the Sontaran was a bounty hunter sent out by the Silence to find and apprehend me, but I'm not Time Lord anymore, so therefore he's not after me again. Or maybe he is still after me, maybe because I know too much, because I know of his true intentions and everything that happened in my dream—a dream that's not actually a dream."

Hazel groans again, this time tugging on my arm in seeming desperation. "Syd, wake up from this delusion! You're not in a dream! You are in reality! If you die here, you will not wake up! Come on, we need to go!"

"You can go if you want," I shrug back at her, pulling my arm away. "I'm staying here. I have to see what happens next!" From what I remember of my former life, my biological parents showed up not long after Hazel and I fled from the scene. Because we left, I didn't get to meet my bio-parents until a few years later, and I was filled with much regret as a result. Perhaps if I stay here, that could change. I could meet them properly this time, like I was supposed to last time.

"What?" Hazel exclaims incredulously. "Are you crazy? You'll get yourself killed! That's what's gonna happen next; I guarantee it!"

"I left last time, and that took away my opportunity to meet my parents," I point out. "I could've met them much sooner had I stayed. In this world I might not get another chance to meet them. This could be my only opportunity. I'm staying."