Chapter 4 - The Sorcerer's Stone

"Granger, Hermione." Professor McGonagall calls. Hermione takes a deep breath before climbing the steps.

"Mental, that one. I'm tellin' you." Ron says. Artemis glares at him and scoffs.

"Don't be rude. I think she's great." She scolds. Ron rolls his eyes but pays attention as the hat is placed on Hermione's head. The hat thinks for a while before sorting her.

"Gryffindor!" The hat shouts. The Gryffindor table cheers, and Artemis smiles and pulls her new friend in for a quick hug before she takes a seat.

The students continued being sorted and Artemis struggles to pay attention as she begins to doubt if she'll be in Gryffindor like the rest of her family. She focuses back on the sorting as Malfoy's name is called. The hat has just barely touched his head as he shouts Slytherin.

"There's not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin." Ron tells Harry.

"That doesn't mean all Slytherin's are bad." Artemis says.

"You don't think Malfoy's bad?" He asks, raising his eyebrow at her.

"I didn't say that. I'm just saying that just because someone is sorted into Slytherin doesn't mean that they will be." She replies, annoyed Ron thinks so. 

Ron rolls his eyes and focuses back on the students being sorted. Harry's eyes drift to the professors and he hisses in pain as he meets the eyes of one of them, rubbing his scar.

"Are you all right? What's wrong?" Artemis asks, concerned for her friend.

"Nothing. Nothing. I'm fine." He tells her. They continue watching the sorting until the next name is called.

"Potter, Harry." McGonagall calls. The hall falls completely silent until Artemis grabs Harry's arm.

"Good luck. You'll be brilliant in any house." She says. He nods and moves to sit on the stool. The hat contemplates for a moment before Harry whispers something, squeezing his eyes shut. The hat thinks for another moment.

"Gryffindor!" The hat announces. 

The Gryffindor table stands as they cheer and clap loudly. Artemis cheers the loudest for her new friend, laughing as she hears the twins bragging about getting Harry in their house.

Once the applause has died down, McGonagall continues with the sorting, eventually calling out Artemis's name. She wipes her sweaty hands on her robes before climbing the steps and sitting on the stool. She takes a deep breath as the hat is placed on her head.

The hat is silent for a long while, so long she watches as the older students begin whispering to each other. She spots her brothers staring worriedly at her, quickly looking away as the Sorting Hat begins speaking to her. 

"Ah, a perfect match for each house. Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, or Gryffindor. Hmm, where to put you." The hat tells her, hoping to hear her opinion.

"I have to be in Gryffindor, just like my family." She replies. The hat is silent for another moment as it considers this.

"Yes, your parents were both in Gryffindor. If you're sure, then...Gryffindor!" The hat tells her, the last word shouted to the rest of the hall.

She sighs in relief, yanking the hat off and thrusting it into McGonagall's hands. She rushes to sit at the Gryffindor table, unable to look anywhere but the floor.

"I think that's the most stressed I've ever been in my entire life." She says, sitting on the bench next to Harry and finally raising her head to look at the others at the table.