Chapter 21 - Chamber of Secrets

"What've we got this afternoon?" Harry asks as the four head out to the courtyard. Before she can answer, Ron snatches her timetable.

"Why have you outlined all Lockhart's lessons in little hearts?" He scoffs. She takes it back, blushing and quickening her pace so she walks ahead of the others. She finds a seat and begins reading one of Lockhart's books.

"Ugh, I wish we would finally get a good Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!" Artemis groans as they join her. Hermione glares at her over the top of her book and she rolls her eyes.

"I think we're being followed." Ron whispers.

"Quit being dramatic." She tells him as she looks around. She jumps when she finds a boy standing next to Harry, clutching a camera.

"All right, Harry? I'm-I'm Colin Creevey." The boy introduces when Harry looks at him. "I'm in Gryffindor, too. D'you think-would it be all right if-can I have a picture?"

"A picture?" Harry asks.

"So I can prove I've met you. I know all about you. Everyone's told me. About how you survived when You-Know-Who tried to kill you and how he disappeared and everything and how you've still got a lightning scar on your forehead, and a boy in my dormitory said if I develop the film in the right potion, the pictures'll move." He says excitedly, gasping in a deep breath after speaking so quickly. "It's brilliant here, isn't it? I never knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic till I got the letter from Hogwarts. My dad's a milkman, he couldn't believe it either. So I'm taking loads of pictures to send home to him. And it'd be really good if I had one of you, maybe your friend could take it and I could stand next to you? And then, could you sign it?"

"Signed photos? You're giving out signed photos, Potter?" Malfoy scoffs. "Everyone queue up! Harry Potter's giving out signed photos!" Artemis glares at him, and Hermione grabs her wand before she can get the chance to use it.

"No, I'm not." Harry replies angrily. "Shut up, Malfoy."

"You're just jealous." Colin tells him.

"Jealous? Of what? I don't want a foul scar right across my head, thanks. I don't think getting your head cut open makes you that special myself." He says.

"Are you sure? Why don't we test it out." Artemis threatens, taking a step towards him. Ron and Hermione grab her arms and yank her backwards, keeping hold of her as she tries to free herself.

"Eat slugs, Malfoy." Ron tells him angrily.

"Be careful, Weasley. You don't want to start any trouble or your mummy'll have to come and take you away from school." He sneers in response. "If you put another toe out of line-" He mocks. "Weasley would like a signed photo, Potter. It'd be worth more than his family's whole house."

"I'm going to kill him." Artemis snarls, fighting harder to free herself so she can attack him, with or without her wand.

"Look out!" Hermione warns Ron as he reaches for his wand.

"What's all this? What's all this? Who's giving out signed photos?" Lockhart asks as he walks over. All the anger leaves Artemis, replaced by annoyance as she scoffs and rolls her eyes. Harry tries to speak, but Lockhart talks over him. "Shouldn't have asked!" He throws his arm around Harry's shoulders. "Come on then, Mr. Creevey. A double portrait, can't say fairer than that, and we'll both sign it for you." Colin quickly takes the picture as the bell rings. 

The crowd disperses as they head to class and Lockhart pulls Harry aside, giving him some useless advice. He rejoins them, glaring at Artemis as she opens her mouth to tease him.