Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Viv

Chris and I are spending the day together doing one of those tours of the Blarney Castle along with a few other popular sites outside of the city. Chris takes photos and sends them back to his friends in California to make them jealous.

Meanwhile, I'm freezing my ass off, bundled up and still shivering from the cold Irish rain. The sites are beautiful, but what I wouldn't give for a big fuzzy blanket and a smutty book with Cal's big warm body sleeping next to me right about now.

Chris and I end our day at a popular pub in the Temple Bar district, stuffing our faces with food.

Cal's got four...yes, four...soldiers with us today.

"That normal?" Chris chuckles as he lathers his fried fish in vinegar.

"Oh," I laugh, "Yes."

"Well, that's good. Keeps you safe," Chris nods thoughtfully.

I rub my lips together. "It was a fluke incident, Chris."

His eyes grow serious. "I know," he nods. "I know. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. This world...it's dangerous."

I frown down at my plate. I know all this. I've always known this. I protected Chris from it to the best of my abilities, but as I got deeper into the Donnellys' world, things got less safe. I had to tell my brother the truth about my employer.

It's how I made us money. It's how I sent him to camp, enrolled him in special classes, paid for his traveling soccer team. Hell, it's how I got him to Stanford.

I made that choice. The choice to enter this world. For him. For my family.

And I wouldn't go back and change a damn thing.

"I'm aware."

"It's different, Jiějiě," he sighs. "It's one thing working for the Donnellys. It's another thing marrying the boss of the Dublin mafia."

My cheeks go hot.

Marriage?

I hadn't even...

Well, I guess I did think about marriage. Maybe eventually. I knew I'd stay by Cal's side. I can't imagine a life without him now.

"I like Cal. A lot. I know he loves you. He'd do anything for you...but Viv," Chris sighs, taking my hands, "I'd be a bad brother if I didn't just make sure...this is what you really want."

"This is what I really want," I tell him, nodding. I've never felt surer. "Alistair is it for me."

Chris smiles a bit.

"The only thing is," I admit with a sigh, "It's a big step. I realize that. And...well, I'll miss you."

Tears well in my eyes as emotion takes over.

Chris squeezes my hands a few times. "I'm always here, V."

"You know what I mean," I sigh shakily. "It's one thing being in Chicago with you in Stanford...but Ireland...it's a world away."
"I was always going to leave the nest. You know that as well as I do. The only reason I'm anything is because of you, Jiějiě. I owe you everything."

I sniffle. "You don't owe me a thing. You're my brother. And I love you more than anything."

"I want you happy."