Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Cal

Our week in Chicago goes far too quickly. Life goes on back in Dublin, and weirdly enough, I'm needed there. Even weirder – I miss it. I like waking up with a purpose, knowing that people are looking to me, that I can lead, and do a good job of it, at that.

If you would have told me that a year ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

The night before we're set to leave, Viv and I don't sleep a wink. We stay up all night talking. Talking about our lives, our futures, all of it.

My Vivi is a planner at her core.

But I've always known that.

That's okay. This time, I'm ready for her. I'll never doubt her or us again.

"This is your last chance out," I remind her as the sun is coming up.

Viv just takes my hand and meets my eyes with her dark ones, serious as ever, with a small smile on her face still. "I am never leaving your side, Alistair Callahan. I've made my decision."

"So, you're coming back with me?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes, but then nods. "Of course I am."

"Are you sure? Are you certain?"

"A thousand percent," she assures me. Her words seem to me a shock to my system. My body buzzes with this new feeling. I feel like I'm whole again, or something.

"We can do hard things," I tell her.

"We can do hard things," she nods in agreement. She brings my hand up to her lips and kisses my knuckles. "Together."

*******************************************

Hours after Viv's final decision, the Donnellys are all seeing us off before heading to the airport.

Viv is hugging her brother goodbye as I give Mira and Caitlin extra-long hugs and tell them, "The next time I see you both, you'll have fresh little ones."

Mira wipes away a happy tear. "I expect your visit as soon as they arrive!"

"I promise," I hold her hand tight.

I turn to Iris, whose eyes are watery as she dances from foot-to-foot nervously. "Agh, I feel like we didn't have enough time."

I hug my cousin. "We never do, cuz."

"I swear your hugs are healing," she mutters into my shoulder.

I laugh and pull away, giving Sean a look over her shoulder. I nod at him. "Take care of her, yeah?"

"Always," Sean promises.

I hug him and finish saying my goodbyes to Damien and Tristan.

When Nessa finally releases Viv from a death-grip of a hug, the other women hug Viv and Nessa moves to me.

"I swear to god, Callahan, if you hurt my friend – I will destroy you and no one will ever find your body," she frowns, pointing at me.

I give Nessa a look.

"Where's your loyalty? You've known me longer," I tell her.