xChapter 48 - Mail-In Requests (2)

"I'm telling you, you have to pay the late fees!" Selina yells.

"And I'm telling you that I don't want to!" Hunter yells back.

The two are arguing at The Starlight City Bookstore, a place where despite the disheveled exterior, it's often a cozy environment for people to relax, buy books, and have a quaint time. But today, it's a warzone between the ever-so-stubborn cashier Selina Gulvonac and even more stubborn Hunter Huntingson.

Fortunately, though, Elizabeth & Cameron, two members of The Miracle Clinic, have arrived to help the group out.

"Do you want to talk to them?" Elizabeth asks Cameron.

"I thought you were," Cameron whispers.

Elizabeth sighs as she steps forward and clears her throat, "So what seems to be the problem?"

Selina looks at Elizabeth and explains, "So this living nuisance rented a book from us, which is totally fine, but he was supposed to return it 3 weeks ago! Now he's refusing to pay any of his late fees."

"Well, how was I supposed to know there were late fees!" Hunter yells.

"IT WAS ON THE RECEIPT!"

"YOU THINK I READ THOSE!"

Selina groans as she tells Elizabeth, "You see what I mean?"

"Yeah I do," Elizabeth says as she turns to Hunter, "What's your side."

"Wait you actually want to know?" Hunter asks confused, "I thought you hated me."

"Yeah I do but I want to get this done ASAP," Elizabeth explains.

"Oh well in that case I wanted to rent the book and once I finished reading it, I came here," Hunter explains.

"When did you first rent this book?"

"It isn't just a book but a piece of art. It's called The Great Gatsby, you might have heard of it," Hunter explains, "And I first rented it like 2 months ago...I'm a slow reader okay."

"Okay, but why didn't you just buy the book then?" Elizabeth asks.

"Because," Hunter begins as he clears his throat, "I'm broke."

Selina face palms as she groans, "Just pay the late fee."

"NO! I'M NOT GETTING SWINDLED OUT OF MY HARD-EARNED CASH!" Hunter yells.

"IT'S ONLY 75 CENTS!" Selina yells back.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY THAT!" Hunter screams as he slams 6 dimes, 2 nickels, and 6 pennies onto the counter and storms off.

Silence fills the air only for Hunter to return, grab the extra penny he accidentally left, and heads out once more.

"So, I guess all's well that ends well," Cameron awkwardly stutters.

REQUEST COMPLETE!

"Thanks for your help," Selina replies, "Both of my bosses are on vacation until tomorrow so I've been the only one running this place."

"Don't mention it, let us know if you need any help," Elizabeth says as she and Cameron leave.

As the two exit out into the streets, the two suddenly feel two arms wrap around their shoulders. The two look up to see the manic Crunch Backson standing over them.

"About time you guys got done with that!" Crunch says, "I was itchin' for you guys to help me with my request!"

"H-hey C-Crunch, s-sorry for wh-what ha-happened with the pencil thing," Cameron stutters.