Chapter 16

Flau'jae's Pov

The essence festival was in full swing the red carpet was full of photographers taking pictures and giving interviews to actors, rappers, content creators and etc.

I was here with my mother/manager walking the red carpet. I wore a 2 piece beige women's pants suit with my 4 chain and buss down AP watch to match. I smiled at the camera turning my head every now and then when I heard photographers scream my name to get my attention towards their direction.

"Flau'jae right here."

"Turn this way please!"

"Flau'jae!"

I smiled nervously trying to keep up with the demands , the red carpet personnel escorted me to the interviewers section.

"Flau'jae it's nice to see you here at the essence festival. How does it feel to be performing today and to receive an award on top of that?" The interviewer asked me.

"It feels great to be here , I'm honored to be here let alone receive an award. It's a wonderful feeling and I'm so grateful to be in this position in life." I answered smiling at the camera.

"Also I just want to add that your looking great , I'm loving the suit very classy. Is your significant other here with you by any chance." She asked me complimenting my drip for today.

"Thank you so much , you know this is light work to me. I love wearing fly clothing and shopping is my second hobby. As for my girlfriend unfortunately she couldn't be here today because she is overseas playing for team USA women's basketball. Hopefully she will see this interview , Goodluck baby bring home that gold for us!" I said into the mic before being escorted into the building with my manager.

There was so many familiar faces around and the energy in the building was insane. Essence festival is majority owned and produced by black people and caters to black audiences and entrepreneurs. It's a different feeling when your surrounded by successful black people. I love seeing my people thrive.

I stopped to do a couple more interviews before moving on towards the catering section. I love events that don't mind feeding people as long as the food is good I'm there. I grabbed a plate and began filling it up with food.

"Now why am I not surprised that this is where I would find you." I heard India say from behind me. I chuckled with a mouth full of food and turned around to greet her.

"Girl you know I stay hungry."

"Oh I know that's why your getting fat."

"Fat? Hold on now. What you tryna say I'm getting thick?" Don't tell me that now." I said flipping my hair to the side looking behind me to see for myself.

"Wait- you know what , I'm not gonna start with you." She said grabbing a fry off my plate. I mugged her and tried to block her attempts to get another one.

"Tiny it's a whole table of food right there." I motioned to the table behind me.

"I see it but I want yours so hush." She smirked grabbing a fry before pecking my cheek.

"Unt un don't be leaving grease and salt on me." I teased whipping my cheek with my hand. She rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue. We ate some more and talked with each other before walking around to socialize. I met so many nice people and took pictures with supporters.

I performed with Wyclef Jean which was a dope experience. It felt great to be able to perform next to a living legend. I made sure to get my mother to record the performance so that I could send it to my baby later. I walked off stage and was greeted by people congratulating me on my performance.

"Flau'jae you killed it out there." India said jumping into my arms squeezing me tight.

"Thank you." I said wrapping my arms around her to keep her from falling.

"I hate performing under bright lights it always feels like I'm baking out there." I said stepping away from her to fan myself but I subconsciously kept my arm around her shoulders.

She grabbed a pamphlet from the table nearby and helped fan me , which I kindly appreciated.

"Flau'jae!" I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked up to see my longtime friend Reginae Carter approaching me. I smiled giving her a side hug because my arm was still around India who had her arm wrapped around my waist.

"Hey sis it's good to see you here. You look good." I said complimenting her outfit choice. She stepped back doing a little spin for me while I hyped her up.

"Thank you girlie , you did amazing out there." She said praising me and my performance. I saw the look she gave me as she looked between me and India.

"So where is my home girl Angel I don't see her here." She asked looking incredulously at us. I can tell this might look like it's something especially with the position that we were in. I tried taking my arm from around her but that only made India tighten her grip on my side.

"Angel is overseas right now playing basketball for team USA but this is-." I tried introducing India as my friend but was cut off by said person in question.

"Hi I'm India it's nice to meet you. I'm Flau'jae's friend." India said smiling brightly as she waved to Reginae. I could see the gears turning in Reginae's head as she continued to stare at us.

"Mhm yes very.. NICE to meet you." Reginae said smiling back but hers didn't seem to have the same effect. Her and India was having a stare off , I could tell they were both having a silent conversation that I wasn't included in.

"Flau'jae it was nice seeing you and make sure ANGEL gives me a call.. okay." She said emphasizing my girlfriends name before walking away making sure to brush shoulders with India on the way out. They must know each other because I was sensing some tension. I ignored it because that ain't got nothing to do with me.

"So .. what was that all about." I asked.

"I don't know , I don't think your friend likes me." She said nonchalantly.

"Mhm." One thing I learned about females it's always a pissing competition between them. Shit is so confusing , but like I said my name bennett and bitches better leave me out of it. Period.

We continued to enjoy the festival and I received my award and gave a heartfelt speech. It felt good to add this award to my growing collection showcasing my achievements.

After the festival was over with I gave India a ride to the hotel. I just got out the shower and was sitting around in some boxer briefs and a sports bra and called my girlfriend on facetime since I haven't talked to her all day.

Ring Ring Ring

She answered the call looking beautiful as ever. Before I could say anything I noticed a mean mug on her face.

"Look on the shade room, and before you say anything all I want to know is why does that bitch got her hands wrapped around you like y'all Siamese twins." She damn near growled. I swiped out and opened Instagram and clicked on the shade room account. I saw a picture of me and India really close laughing about something. From an outsider perspective it looks crazy but it wasn't like that..

"Bae that's my friend I told you that."

"So we hang on to our friends like we want them? Is that what we doing? Let me know."

"Aye mane stop playing with me foreal."

"No you stop fucking playing with me like I'm a simple ass bitch. You got hoes playing in your face while I'm out of the state." She yelled at the phone while pacing back in forth. My heart was beating hard through my chest. I don't like arguing with my girlfriend and I know this looks bad. I can try to explain it to her but whenever she gets upset like this she won't see reason.

"Bae listen-."

"No you listen as soon as I touch down I'm beating her ass then I'm beating yours since hoes like to play games let's play." She said before hanging up. Well damn.

That.. turned me on.

Love & BasketballOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara