Chapter 4

"We're here," James said, opening the classroom door with no one inside yet. The classroom looked pleasant and it gave Olivia immediate comfort, even though it would take some time for most people to feel comfortable. Olivia is one of those people, but she doesn't understand how she soon felt comfortable.

Olivia just stood there as James walked away from her to a seat that was in the front row. The boy put his hand on the table and looked at her. "This seat is empty. This could be your seat. Our class instructor allows us to choose our own seats."

Olivia nodded, walked toward James, and set her backpack on the table near James' hand. And that was when the bell began to ring. It was definitely a sign of classes starting. James went quietly to his seat and took his place. Olivia immediately followed and did the same but in her seat where James put his hand. She hung her backpack over her chair and looked forward toward the special whiteboard instead of the green one she had expected. There was also even a special beamer hanging against the ceiling. That's just magical for some. As time went on, all the students quietly entered. The class was not large and Olivia forgot that there were only 9 benches in the class. So it was like this: 4 girls and 5 boys.

2 blonde-haired girls around her age sat between her. One wore glasses and had blue eyes with many shades of green in them. She smiled at Olivia as a greeting-ing and the girl smiled back to be friendly and also to show respect.

"Hello. Are you new?" the girl with glasses on asked.

Olivia nodded and watched the blonde-haired girl extend her hand to her. "My name is Jessie. Pleased to meet you."

Olivia shook her hand. "Olivia. Same to you." Then she felt herself being stared at and looked in the direction where the other blond-haired girl was sitting. She did not have glasses on, had brown eyes, and looked at her more shyly. Olivia could clearly see how her cheeks were a little red from embarrassment. Olivia smiled gently at her to show she meant no harm, but the blond-haired girl looked away. Olivia frowned. The girl appeared to be super friendly, but maybe she didn't want to be friends with her.

Olivia looked back at the board, not noticing that Jessie had seen the whole scene.

"Hey."

Olivia looked at her immediately.

"Do not take it personally. That's Bella. She's shy and quiet. Give her time."

Olivia nodded and looked at Bella in the corner of her eyes, nervously pricking her fingers as if there was something in them. But there was nothing. Bella was wearing long sleeves and she was pricking them, too. Olivia watched the blond-haired girl suspiciously. She was hiding something - but what? But it wasn't Olivia's business to ask what was wrong but if Bella was a victim of violence....

Then Olivia's thoughts were interrupted by a bell and a sign that everyone must be in class. Some students in the class began to chat to each other and Olivia couldn't help but be curious.

"Who is that girl with wings?"

"I've never seen her here at school."

"Wow, I want to have wings like her, too."

The comments continued, which made Olivia angry, and formed her hands into fists. What Olivia desperately wanted was to be seen as normal instead of someone else like a monster or an alien. She also didn't understand why she was born with wings instead of without them. Olivia ignored those comments and that was when an adult stepped in with books in her arms. She has orange hair with bangs covering her forehead, has glasses on but not the same as Jessie, and her eyes are blue.

"Good morning, everyone," the teacher said with an excited tone in her voice.

Just before she could start the lesson, she noticed Olivia with wings in her classroom and the girl felt nervous. The reaction could be different. There was silence in the classroom while all eyes were on Olivia and the teacher. Olivia was calm even though she felt full of nerves inside. The teacher smiled at her kindly and warmly so that made Olivia even more calm, but also a little uneasy. "You're Olivia, right? Welcome to the class! I'm Ms. Marie, your class teacher."