Chapter 14

Cindy parked her car outside the field that led to the deep woods. She made sure her car was stationary, so it was not driving any further, and turned off its engine. She got out of the car and the teenagers did the same. Everyone went to the luggage compartment of the car and Cindy opened it. Everyone thought they would get their backpacks first, but instead, shoes were the first they got. "First put on special hiking shoes that I brought for you."

Olivia quickly grabbed Snow from her kangaroo bag and handed it to Cindy, who took the kitty over. The teens quickly removed their regular shoes and put on special hiking shoes. They were pretty strong hiking boots, but they would protect your feet. After Olivia had the shoes on, she picked Snow up and carefully put her back in her kangaroo bag. Cindy took the teens' regular shoes and put them in her car's luggage. She gave Olivia, Jessie, and James their backpacks, and the teens quickly put them on.

Cindy quickly gave each teen a hug and Snow a pet before everyone heard anything. Cindy looked pale white. It was the special agents that Olivia and her friends were looking for. Maybe they had managed to track them down? That was an alarm for the teens and Cindy. The adult woman quickly handed Olivia a special compass and said, "Use it to track your father. Now go! Run! I'll stop the agents!"

Olivia quickly grabbed the compass and immediately ran onto the field along with James and Jessie. It was pitch dark on the field because there were no streetlights. She felt like she was in The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins wrote. Thanks to her, more stories have been born, such as Divergent by Veronica Roth and The Maze Runner by James Dashner. But Olivia was not Katniss, Tris, or Thomas. She was simply Olivia, who had wings and needed to escape.

Olivia made sure Snow was safe and that she didn't fall out of her kangaroo pouch either. She was still running with James and Jessie toward the woods. They heard some yelling and some even shooting at them! They were not killers! The teenagers began to run even harder, and finally, they ran into the forest. They did not stop and went further and further into the deep forest. Olivia felt a painful sting in her side and groaned in pain. Her heart was racing, and she was suffering for her friends.

After she felt sure they were safe, she stopped walking and began panting. Her friends were doing the same. Olivia turned back to see if she would notice anyone who had followed them. Luckily, no one had followed them. Then the girl with wings realized they had lost the agents.

Olivia and her friends rested for a few minutes. Their legs ached from running hard. James and Jessie had been going to school since they were little and didn't have wings. They could safely go to school and live their future without any problems. Olivia felt guilty inside. She was putting her friends in danger. Now the agents were looking for them and her too. Olivia had to hide her whole life and Cindy did a good job of keeping her safe, but unfortunately, she didn't even think of the consequences that would happen when she ran away from school. She put herself in great danger. Now she has to survive and so do her friends.

Olivia regained control of her breath and so did her friends. She looked at them with a worried look in her eyes. "Are you guys okay?"

Jessie was the only one to answer "Yes."

"We should keep going. We'll see later what Cindy gave us in our backpacks." Olivia then glanced at Snow, even though it was dark. She could see a little hair, but not much. She petted her and Snow purred. Fortunately, she was okay, too.

After some rest, the teens continued their mission. They had no idea which way they were going. Jessie and James followed Olivia since they remembered Cindy's words. After some walking, Olivia suddenly stopped and her friends also stopped. They looked questioningly at her. Olivia held the compass she got from Cindy. She looked at her friends and said, "Cindy gave it to me and said to use it to follow my father."

"How can you follow someone by using a compass?" asked James to her.

Olivia already had a plan. She looked up and there were stars. She already knew that, but leaves were covering the stars. She opened the compass and saw that the arrow immediately moved north. The arrow was first facing south.

She looked back at her friends. She explained to them that the compass pointed to where her father was in the sky. If her father was north, the arrow would be north. That was an example. Her friends understood. "Let's keep going." Olivia led the way as her friends followed. Snow was always in the kangaroo bag of the girl with wings. She had fallen asleep.