Chapter 14: Heartbreak Parade

I could barely think. My knees felt like jelly, my insides were churning-in a good way, and all I could feel were Draco's lips on mine. My hand moved up to his hair to try and tangle in it, like I had seen many girls do when making out. Was I making out? With Draco? When my hand gently touched his hair, he jumped back from me and turned around. 

I instantly missed the warmth that surrounded my lips. The feeling of his hands on my waist. The feeling of his hand on my chin, my neck. I tried not to but I couldn't help but bring a finger up to trace over my lips. I softly panted at the rush of air and watched as Draco's back raised and lowered as he did the same. 

"You kissed me." It wasn't a question, more of a statement. I couldn't remove the surprise and small excitement from my voice. I just hoped he couldn't hear it. 

"Forget it." 

And the warm feeling was gone. 

"Draco-"

"Luna, forget it. It never happened. I clearly was drugged or made the wrong potion." A stab of pain shot through my middle and I brought my hand down to my chest to make sure that I was still alive and his words hadn't just shattered my heart. He finally turned to me, features hard and showing no emotions. "But I know I am right about him," he used his thumb to point to the door, "and I am not going to let this go. He hurt Pansy and other Slytherins and I cannot let that go."

He turned away from me again and I saw him take a big breath in, his shoulders rising. When he spoke again his voice was flat and hard. "Forget what happened. I will talk to you tomorrow during Prefect duties." And then he marched off, taking what was left of my heart with him. 

He had barely made it two steps on to the moving staircase before a sob ripped itself out of my throat and I collapsed heavy onto the ground. Through bleary eyes I watched as he paused as I let out a saddened "Draco" full of sorrow and tears. He cast a look over his shoulder full of remorse and sadness, just a quick look, before he hurried down the rest of the steps. Sobs overtook my whole body and I curled in on my self, sitting on ground that was as cold as my heart. 

I struggled to breathe as I held my chest and tears continued to stream down my face. Finally I was too weak to hold myself up and I laid on the ground, tears forming a tiny puddle next to my head. I don't know how long I laid there, how many hours my heart kept shattering into tinier pieces, how long it was while I watched my heart wander away with a man who would never leave me, how many hours I felt tears leave trails out my eye, over my nose, and down my cheek until they splashed into the small puddle. How many hours my hands fisted into my shirt near my stomach, or my eyes glazed over. 

But what I do know is that I don't think I could ever get up again. Ever put my two feet on the ground and my heart on my sleeve. All I wanted was the feeling of his hand on mine, his hand on my waist, his comforting words, and his soft rough lips against mine. 

I had finally broken and was accepting that fate when a soft voice called my name. 

"Miss Lovegood? Oh Luna. What are you doing out here?" The voice prodded for answers but after many hours of crying I had lost my voice and if I could talk I didn't want to. "You're far from Ravenclaw's Common Room." 

A hand ghosted over my cheek and brushed away the tears that still continued to leak out. My eyes refused to see who was helping me. I was completely fine just laying here in my sorrows. 

"Luna. Luna. Pay attention. Please. Focus on me. What happened?"

My eyes unglazed but I still didn't feel like moving. "Someone took my heart." I heard myself saying. 

"Oh sweetie." McGonagall's hand grabbed mine and pulled it towards herself, encompassing it in her own. "Can you stand?" I shook my head and she nodded before looking around for something. Making up her mind, she looked down at me before nodding once more and standing. "I'll be right back. Here, have this."