betrayal

"No.... No no no. Ethan?" Your eyes widened and your heart dropped when you see the one person you never thought you'd see behind the mask. "Surprise baby." His lips turned up into a twisted smile. You were in a state of shock, the gash on your arm hardly registered even as it bled severely.

A million thoughts raced through your mind as you realized he wasn't who you thought he was. Your sweet Ethan who cuddled with you and kissed you. Who told you he loved you and that he would never hurt you.

"How could you?" Your voice was gravelly as tears spilled down your cheeks. "Oh you sweet dumb thing... revenge of course." You shared a confused look with Tara and Sam before the other ghost face revealed themselves to be Quinn.

Wayne started going on and on about Sam and it's revealed that they're Richie's family. You started tuning out, all the voices became muddled in your brain. You couldn't take your eyes off of Ethan. You stared at him as if suddenly he would tell you it was all a joke.

"I loved you." You tilted your head at him. "You said you loved me." His sick smile faltered for a moment, before he regained his composure. "You weren't supposed to happen." He confessed while the others were distracted.

You let out an angry scoff, "you're a coward piece of shit." Your words clearly pierced his armor and he furrowed his eyebrows together. You had never said such cruel words and it sounded foreign leaving your mouth.

You whipped your head around at the sound of Richies voice, it made your stomach churn. You swallowed deeply, clutching your side to feel the scar he left you with after stabbing you. "He tried to kill us what were we supposed to do?!"

You yelled angrily looking at the family. Quinn lifted her knife and pointed it in your direction making you close your mouth. Ethan tensed up seeing your scared face, realizing it was going to be harder than he thought. 

Quinn lunged at you and Tara jumped into action, smashing her face with a brick. "Come on!" Tara yelled and started running towards the ladder. Kirby had stood up and shot at Wayne causing him to duck down.

Quinn chased after the Carpenter sisters, leaving you and Ethan. You stood frozen for a moment before coming to your senses and sprinting away. Ethan followed, his tall stature enabling him to catch up to you easily.

He grabbed your hair from behind making you yelp and raise your arms to grab his. You lifted your leg and kick backwards, hitting him in the stomach. He stumbles giving you a chance to continue running.

You run through the doors and into the hallways. You looked around frantically trying to figure out where to go. Suddenly you find yourself at a dead end, "shit!" but when you turn to go the other way Ethan is just a few feet in front of you.

You back up until you're against the wall, nowhere else to go. He stalks towards you with a stoic expression on his face. A sob escapes your lips as you realize you're going to die, and at the hands of the boy you loved.

You hated him. Yet you couldn't just turn off all of the feelings you had for him prior to this betrayal. Ethan now stood inches from your face and he lifted his knife to your throat.

You could feel his breath on your face and you screwed your eyes shut. "I really am sorry..." Ethan whispers, his composure breaking. You open your eyes and stare up at his face. "Just do it."

"What?" His voice was small. "You're gonna kill me right? Just do it, get it over with." You had grown surprisingly calm, staring to accept your face. He furrows his brows and his breathing picks up.

He presses the blade closer to your throat and you sucked in a sharp breath but you still stared into his eyes. He would have to look at you while he did it, you wanted him to see it. He clenched his jaw and his hand started to shake.

"Fuck!" He steps back and grabs at his hair with both hands. "You can't do it." You said. He looked at you sadness, realizing that he really almost killed you. "You can't do it because you love me." A tear escaped your eye and trailed slowly down your cheek.

"I'm s-sorry y/n/n oh my god what have I done..." His mind started unraveling and you looked over his shoulder to see Sam quietly walking closer and lifting her finger to her lips, telling you to stay quiet.

You bit your lip, knowing what was about to happen. It had to happen, there was no getting out of this. "Remember the house we talked about?" You asked Ethan and stepped closer to him. He looked confused before nodding.

"Y-yeah with the um spiral staircase." He spoke and you smiled slightly at the memory of the conversation. You were both laying in Ethan's bed talking about your future together. You talked about the house you would buy and all of the little details.

You stepped even closer and he slumped his shoulders. You lifted your neck and placed your lips on his for what would be the last time. "Maybe in another lifetime Ethan Landry." You whispered.

You felt the way his body lurched against yours when Sam stabbed him in the back. She removed the knife from his hand and you fell to the floor with him. You pushed the hair away from his eyes and placed one last kiss on his forehead.

His eyes closed and you felt his heart stopping. You sobbed over his body before Sam and Tara dragged you away.

The betrayal would stay with you forever, but you had the other survivors with you, and you knew you'd get through it together. You never thought Ethan would be capable of what he did. You'd always keep the good memories of Ethan, when his love was real.