in for a good scare

You rushed around your room , frantically throwing your costume on while simultaneously grabbing your purse.

"Y/n/n!" Your roommate yelled as she swung your bedroom door open. "We're gonna be lateee!" She whined in a sing-song voice.

"I know I know!" You hopped on one leg as you shoved your foot into your shoe.

The pair of you walked down the New York City streets arm in arm. "So is Jake meeting us there? Did he finally tell you his costume?"

You laughed and rolled your eyes, "All I know is he texted me saying I was in for a good scare, he's probably gonna wear that stupid stab mask."

You felt a shiver run up your spine but chalked it up to the October weather. How were you to know you were being watched?

Ethan watched quietly as you and your roommate walked along the row of frat houses. His heart still racing from his recent kill.

Jake was a shitty boyfriend, there was no way to sugarcoat it. He always ditched you for better plans, and without your knowledge, other girls.

Most of your friends hated him but gave up trying to help you. Not Ethan though, he knew you deserved better and was determined to show you that.

You walked into the dimly lit house, immediately making your way to the drinks. You ran into one of your friends Tara.

"T! Hey!" You smiled brightly and pulled her into a hug. She was clearly well on her way to being drunk. "You okay there?" You giggled at her body swaying.

"I'm perfect! Don't worry... the squad is here to protect me." She rolled her eyes dramatically and pointed towards Chad.

You followed her direction and gave Chad a small wave. He returned the gesture before continuing his conversation with Mindy.

"All right well I'm gonna try and find Jake, text me if you need anything okay?" You placed your hand on her shoulder and smiled at her.

"Yeah, oh and hey! Will you let me know if you see Ethan? Chads been looking for him." You gave her a quick nod.

You didn't know Ethan that well, but you liked him, he had always been very sweet to you. He was Chads roommate so you had met him a few times when hanging out with that group.

You walked around in search of Jake, struggling to see anything through the masses of people. Feeling overwhelmed you walked down a hallway.

You leaned your back against the wall and took big sips of your drink. Of course Jake was late again and not answering his phone.

You started to walk away when a hand grabbed your shoulder. You were startled and immediately jumped back.

Your hand flew to your chest as if it would slow your racing heart. You were now face to face with someone in a ghostface mask.

"Damnit Jake you scared me!" You yelled and swatted his chest. You let out a big sigh and looked up at him, he seemed taller than normal?

"I don't understand your obsession with those movies." You laughed and ran your finger along the side of his mask.

He reached up and held his gloved hand in yours. "Not gonna say anything?" You ask with furrowed eyebrows. He slowly shook his head back and forth.

"Oh I see... staying in character?" You narrowed your eyes at him teasingly.

You had just enough to drink to overlook the odd behavior. "Well I'm glad you're here but I'm gonna help Tara and Chad look for Ethan okay?"

You cared about him that much? He wanted to rip the mask off and confess his love right then and there. He knew he couldn't though, not when he was so close to having you for good.

He grabbed your wrist to keep you from going and you gave him a look of confusion. "Jake come on, I'll be back I promise." You smile softly.

When you go to turn again he pulled you towards him. "Jake.. seriously?" Your voice sounded smaller as you grew more concerned.

He drew a knife from his pocket, holding it out at his side. You gasped in fear and pulled your arm away. You sprinted down the empty hallway, running through the back door.

Drunk party goers cussed at you as you shoved past them. When you looked behind you he was still following you.

This couldn't be Jake, unless this was some twisted idea of a prank but you highly doubted that. You started walking fast back towards your apartment.

Your shaky hands pulled out your phone to text your roommate. You were so focused on typing that you didn't look where you were going.

You tripped over something which sent you to the ground and your phone flying out of your hands. You scrambled to pick it up only to find it shattered. "Shit shit shit!" You started to panic.

You turned around to find what you tripped over and the sight had you screaming bloody murder. Jake laid out on the pavement, stab wounds all over his body and a fatal throat slit.

Looking past his body you saw the familiar mask. The figure stood like a statue before tilting his head slightly. You felt like your body was moving on its own accord as you picked yourself up and started running.

You turned corners hoping to put as much distance between you and him as you could. You stopped once noticing it was eerily silent.

He was no longer chasing you. You breathed heavily and stared down the dark alley. Where did he go?

Your startled once again when a hand is placed on your shoulder. You whip around screaming to find Ethan Landry.

He throws his hands up in surrender and is shocked by your reaction, "hey hey! Woah it's just me! It's me!" His brown eyes grew wide as he spoke.

"Ethan oh my god!" You threw your arms around his shoulders, gripping him tightly. His flimsy cardboard costume falling apart as you did so. "What's wrong what happened? Are you hurt?" He asked while frantically looking over your body.

"N-no I'm not but- Jake... he's dead." Ethan looked around and held onto your shoulders tightly. "What do you mean he's dead?"

"I mean he's dead! It's- it's ghostface." Your voice cracked saying that god forsaken name. "What are you doing out here!?" You had to ask, fear evident in your voice.

"I left the part early but Tara said she hadn't seen you in a while she got worried!" You nodded in understanding.

As if on perfect timing the police pulled around the block, red and blue lights flashing violently. "Are you guys okay?!" Chad yelled as he ran up to the both of you.

"We're okay." Ethan confirmed. The police ran over to Jake, one of them checking his pulse before shaking their head back and forth.

You felt a sob escape your throat, the reality of the situation sinking in. Ethan held your body steady in his arms. "Shhh it's okay. I know but you're okay."

An hour later you were sat on the back of an ambulance, blanket wrapped around you. "Anything else you can tell us would be helpful." One of the cops spoke while writing on a notepad.

"Jesus she's told you everything! She needs to rest can we please just go?" Ethan spoke with a sternness in his voice.

The cop sighed but agreed. "I'm gonna take her home okay?" Ethan informed Chad and Tara. She pulled you into a hug, "text me when you're home."

Ethan kept an arm around your shoulder the entire way back. He grabbed you clean clothes and waited while you showered.

He smiled and pulled the blankets back so you could slip into bed. "I'll just be in the living room okay?" He brushed some hair behind your ear before standing to leave.

"E?" You asked causing him to turn around. "Would you- could you lay with me?" One side of his lips turned up in a smile. "Of course."

He slipped in next to you and pulled you close to his chest. Exhaustion took over and you finally drifted into sleep.

Ethan looked down at you smiling, everything is going according to plan.