Chapter 2

"I chose you." Ayatsuji said, standing still behind Higuchi.

Everyone was shocked, even Higuchi herself.

"I... am quite unfit, you see." She stated, looking up to his face.

"Big sis is unable to protect big bro Akutagawa-san... And he ain't even needing protection!" Tachihara said loud and clear. "Not to sound offensive, big sis."

"No offense at all, I know that myself." She slowly giggled, disappointed of herself, knowing that he wasn't wrong.

"Strenght isn't the only principle I'm basing on."

Akutagawa looked him straight in the eyes, and the gaze was returned.

"Akutagawa-kun's thinking: "She has not the personality to keep one in line," am I right?" Ayatsuji stated returning his look to Higuchi's eyes, catching every little emotion flowing into them, ackowledging her thoughts and opinions.

"That is true, but..." Her voice, though, even if she was in shame, sounded loud and clear. "...I might know why you're choosing me."

Everyone gave her full attention.

"You say? What is it?" He asked.

"That is... Among us, I'm the most unfit for the mafia." Higuchi answered. Her response was no news for any of them, yet, why did it felt so shocking? Was it because Higuchi was admitting it? Or was it because Ayatsuji's sly smile indicated that it was the right answer?

"You can stand up, I believe. Or are you to refuse?"

Higuchi chuckled in defeat, looking in his gold eyes. "As if I could ever refuse."

Mori smiled widely. "Then, I guess you have your supervisor. Akutagawa-kun, I'm sorry for your loss of partner. Although, I don't think you mind too much, do you?"

Akutagawa stayed silent.

Higuchi's slightly sadden sight made Ayatsuji think better of the situation. Of course he knew that Mori didn't mean "partner" in such a way, but maybe his teasing would spark some good scene.

"My, my... Don't tell me that I took your darling, Akutagawa-kun?"

His gaze pierced through Ayatsuji's soul, even though Akutagawa would have preferred Rashōmon, his ability, to do so better. On the other side, Higuchi, as red as a pomegraned, was flushing over his words.

"Of course not. Love is not in my fancy. Oh-so-great-detective, your brain didn't reach that far?" Akutagawa looked at him in displease.

"There is no need to hide the truth, you know." Ayatsuji teased again, with a half smile.

"I don't recall asking you to stick your nose into others' private affairs. And I am a man of no lies, far from what you are, Homicide Detective." Akutagawa stood up briskly. "Boss, as he's chosen already, it should mean we're free to go, right? Or is there anything else?" Mori shook his head, saying that they were dismissed.

Ayatsuji seemed amused by Akutagawa's words, slightly chuckling to himself at his replies.

Before heading out of the room, Akutagawa stood by Higuchi's side, and, placing a hand on her shoulder, he gave her an advice. "Higuchi, doubt him."

As his words died down his throat, silence dipped in the room that slowly emptied of the other members of the Port Mafia.

"Funny enough, you quite have the manners, Ayatsuji-kun. I thought of you as less talkative." A quiet chuckle parted Mori's lips, as he gazed at Higuchi tenderly. He was sure he would've chosen her. However, in that decision, something felt wrong. Higuchi wasn't doubted by Mori; of course he knew she would've never betrayed the Port Mafia... Yet, Ayatsuji had such charm in dreading someone, spinning one's head round with his words to make them accomplish his will... It wasn't the most reassuring thing, leaving her by his side.

"If I have a reason to talk, then so be it." He stated plainly. His eyes fixed on Higuchi, who talked quietly with Ango, taking in all the informations she could from him.

"Eh?? For real?!" She asked him dumbfolded, quite unbelieving what Ango said.

"Yes, you see, Higuchi-kun, he is---"

"Here. I am still here." Ayatsuji filled the phrase that blocked midway in a annoyed manner, as soon as Ango felt his glare dip into his being.

Ango cleared his throat and, bringing out his cool demeanor, waved Mori goodbye, saying that there was no reason for them to stay any longer.

"Higuchi-kun, my best regards. Do your job properly." Mori said with an unwavering grin.

"I'll do my best not to disappoint." She replied with a bow. That said, she left the room with the two men.

Elise creepily giggled as she drew on the checkered floor of Mori's office with a red wax pencil.

"Back at drawing, are you? What are you drawing, Elise-chan?" Mori asked with a smile sweeter than honey, his mind wandering in a land of curiousity.

Elise sided the drawing, letting Mori to have a look.

A blonde person covered in blood. Not quite the drawing one would expect from a child.

"Oh..." He couldn't help but say at least that. "How about we take an icecream, instead?" He offered, trying to gain her attention.

"Can I go with Chūya-san?" She asked with a smile.

"Why not going with me, though, dear? I think Chūya-kun is pretty busy, right now. Why don't you want to come together with me?"

"Because you're disgusting, Rintarō!" She answered, her smile not faltering once, and her tone indicated that to her it was like stating the obvious.

"That was rude of you, Elise-chan..."

►͠ ◊ ͠ ● ͠ ◄

Author note:

Aaaah... I want the 99th chapter of Dreaming Freedom to come out... 

I was waiting to read it, cuz I knew it would've ended up this way, but I caught up with 98 chapters in a day, and now I'm left at waiting ( '・・)ノ(._.')

Anyways...

See you next week(_ _)。゜zzZ