Chapter 3

"If I got this right, Tsujimura-san and I will both look after Ayatsuji-san, so that she teaches me some things I need to do. However, how come you get assigned to so little quests? I believed that since they've got such a smart detective, with a strong ability too, the Special Investigation Division would've kind of abused you." Higuchi asked to Ayatsuji, who smoked from his kisero, covering with smoke her face that held pure curiosity. She coughed, waving an hand to move the smoke away.

"We don't do "abuse"! Get that off your mind, Higuchi-san!" Tsujimura, a turquoise haired agent, the one that was meant to be the supervisioner of the Homicide Detective, exclaimed.

Both Higuchi and Ayatsuji were unsure if destroying her expectations or play along with her lies. Higuchi decided to do the first move.

"I wouldn't go that far as explaining how you do in many ways... but staying close to you: don't you think forcing a person to stay at home 24/7 because of his ability is quite abusive?" Higuchi raised an eyebrow.

Tsujimura's reaction was comical: from pale and confident she was a second ago, she swapped to a totally red face, her lower lip slightly trembled; her eyes spoke clear: she didn't know how to respond. Higuchi couldn't help but just shake her head.

"It's not my business wether you like your Division or not, but at least look at it objectively. You have to recognize it wholly." Higuchi said close-eyed.

"Then, what good is there in the Port Mafia, mh?!" She questioned impatiently.

"Port Mafia is the reason why Japan is such a rich country, you know." Higuchi laughed, giving away a glimpse of herself out of her business-like demeanor. Tsujimura kept quiet. "...Yet, I can agree that there is nothing "good". "We're mafia, so we all are evil", that would be what you think, right?"

"For one to kill so easily for money, I confirm you're evil." She answered confidently.

"Yes, yes." Higuchi nodded, with no intention to disagree.

"...Not to interrupt your moment, but could you slow down a little?" Ayatsuji spat his request with coldness, making Higuchi stop on her tracks.

"Ah... It's an habit, I apologize." She excused herself and matched his pace, normally walking between them.

"Higuchi-san, do you find yourself unsuitable for the Port Mafia? Yesterday, Sakaguchi-senpai told me that this was the reason why you've been choose."

"Do you actually expect me to answer that?" Higuchi asked, raising an eyebrow. "Because if you do, you're wrong."

What a mafia... Tsujimura thought. "Well, let's turn the question around: how do you know when a person is made to be with the mafia?" She asked then.

"Let's say some people are fitting, and some just aren't. A perfect mafia one could say that is impulsive, rash, arrogant and that solves matters by brute force. That is kind of the outsiders' stereotype."

"You don't really seem like that... But aren't you an high ranked mafioso? How come you don't resemble anything at all at the stereotype?"

"I'm confident Boss knows what he does. Plus, I don't think you understood correctly the word 'Stereotype'. Most of us aren't that way, only few are, actually, but in a rotten apple, the first thing you notice is the rotten part."

"But... Are you going to quit, tho? You seem to like it here." Tsujimura asked curious.

Higuchi kept her eyes on the traffic light, that from red gone to blue. "I do like it there. And no, I'm not to."