Chapter 9

I mentally groaned when I heard King Avien speak again. Why couldn't he just stay quiet?

"This is my grandfather's house. I can ask him whether we can spend the night here instead of camping," I replied trying to stay calm. "Besides, I also have something to talk with him."

"Absolutely not. Now I know why you planned to go to Glairmount by passing through Floremence while we could have directly taken the south gate to go there. I would have commanded to switch paths then and there had I not been curious to see what you were up to. You underestimated me, Lauren," he spoke in a cold voice.

To be honest I myself was angry but I guess I was being selfish not telling them this beforehand because I was afraid they would say no and want to steer me clear from this place.

I tried my hardest to speak calmly. "I apologise Your Majesty. I should have informed you before. But kindly understand that this matter concerns my mother and I am doing this for her."

"Do I look like I care about your mother? You were appointed for this quest to do me a service which would bring you great honour. Who knows how much time you will waste here now? We shall camp and move our way at daybreak tomorrow. You are here to bring me the power crystal, not have family reunions," he spoke to me coldly.

This was the last straw. I was now beyond furious. How can someone be so selfish? If it was for me I would have grudgingly agreed and came back later. But this was for my mother. He had no idea how many nights she just quietly sobbed in her bedroom because grandfather would not talk to her. And now when I had the chance to fix everything, I had to back off for him? How would I face my hopeful mother back home and tell her I did not even try cause of some stupid king and some stupid crystal. I was done. He had broken my barriers.

"DO YOU THINK I WANTED TO GO ON THIS QUEST?! YOU ARE ACTING LIKE I BEGGED YOU FOR THIS SO CALLED HONOUR WHEN IN REALITY YOU WERE THE ONE WHO RANDOMLY PICKED ME!" I shouted at him and letting my anger out.

"Lauren calm down," Rowan tried to stop me but I was on a roll.

"HOW COULD SOMEONE BE SO SELFISH LIKE YOU? YOU ARE A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A KING! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY TIMES SHE WANTED TO COME HERE HERSELF BUT YOU KEPT SENDING ORDERS TO THE PEOPLE TO DO THIS, DO THAT. NOW WHEN I HAVE THE CHANCE YOU ARE ONCE AGAIN INTERFERING. WHY CAN'T YOU LET ME RELEASE MY MOTHER OUT OF HER SORROW? AT LEAST SHOW SOME PITY!" I shouted at him.

King Avien seemed taken aback. I would have shouted at him more had I not ran out of breath. Rowan rushed to keep me still as Cass brought me some water which I gulped instantly. After waiting for a few more moments, I thought I was ready to complete what I was saying.

"I have had enough. I would have let this go had it concerned me but my mother is also entangled in this mess. She comes first for me before you. I no longer want to associate myself with this quest. I am leaving." Saying this I left for my grandfather's doorstep before he could shout any orders for me to be imprisoned and all.

I rang the doorbell and waited nervously. As I was standing, I spoke without glancing back. "You three can spend the night here if you want and if my grandfather allows."

Finally the door opened and I saw a familiar stout man with white hair and round glasses too large for his face. He could stand erect without any support though he was around 66 but he still had many wrinkles on his face. I had seen him before only once in my uncle's wedding which I had attended along with my parents.

"Who are you? You better not be one of Wenderin's because then my answer is still no," he spoke rather harshly.

"Do not worry. I know no Wenderin. I am Loralai, your granddaughter," I spoke to him.