4

When the man had finished, Gabe pulled up his shorts, and caught hold of the man's arm before he could walk away.

"I've got a... proposition for you," he said quickly, before the man could push him away.

"Oh?"

"I need some quick cash. Get some friends together tonight, and tell me where to meet you."

"How many?" The man asked, looking interested.

Gabe shrugged.

"About ten. I'll still be charging sixty each, if they want sex, but you can add, say, ten quid to that, and keep the extra for yourself. If they'll pay the extra."

The man thought for a while.

"Rules?" He asked finally.

"Anything goes," Gabe replied seriously. "Except drugs. Your friends can use them if they want, but I won't. And they need to use protection."

"Alright," the man grunted. "Seven thirty tonight, the abandoned bar beside the railway. The Cow Bell."

Gabe nodded agreeably.

"If you want them to use protection, you'll have to bring it yourself."

*

Gabe shoved a plastic bag full of condoms and lubricant beneath his mattress as soon as he got home, changed quickly, and made a start on the housework.

By the time he had to go and fetch the twins from school, he'd vacuumed the entire house - even braving Jordan's bedroom to do some cleaning - and had done two loads of laundry.

The twins chattered happily about their day as they wandered home with Gabe, and later as he was making dinner. They were excited about their upcoming trip.

Jordan and Phoebe came in just as Gabriel was serving dinner. Jordan looked flushed and warm, Phoebe cold and miserable.

"I thought you were going to play with me afterwards," Phoebe grumbled. "I didn't sit there for an hour and a half just to have you walk me home."

"You should have told me you wanted to play," Jordan said, throwing his sweatshirt into the dirty laundry hamper. "I'll take you to the park on Saturday, and you can play with me and my friends then."

Gabe listened to them arguing good-naturedly as he ate, before he ran upstairs for a quick shower. He dried off, dressed quickly in his usual cut-off shorts and mesh shirt, and fastened his long coat firmly around his waist.

He knocked on Jordan's bedroom door on his way downstairs.

Jordan was sprawled out on his bed, his earphones in as usual, a thick history textbook resting on his chest as he read.

"I'm going to work, Jord," Gabe said when Jordan had removed his earphones. "I've got a double shift so I'll be home late."

Jordan nodded.

"The twins are in bed. Could you make sure Phoebe goes up by eight thirty?"

Jordan nodded again.

"Oh, and could you do me a favour? Go on the computer and have a look for cheap hotels, or a youth hostel, somewhere. Nottingham, perhaps."

"Why?"

"I told Phoebe we'd go away together when the twins are on their residential trip."

"Again, why?" Jordan asked.

"I talked to her about her food issues today. She got a bit down, so I suggested we three could do something fun while the twins are away."

Gabe fetched his bag of condoms and lubricant, before leaving the house, locking the door securely on the way out, and heading out towards the abandoned Cow Bell pub.