11

Gabriel walked home the next morning, his entire body aching pleasurably. Ross had parted with him at the hotel barely an hour before, insisting Gabriel stay and have some breakfast before he went home, and hinting heavily he would be booking Gabe again soon.

The weight of almost fifteen hundred pounds sat in his pocket; Ross had left a generous three hundred pound tip with Angela. Gabe couldn't wait for his next booking with Ross. He'd signed Angela's contract that morning.

Stopping by the bank on his way home, Gabe paid the money into his account. When he got home, he booted up the ancient computer in the living room, and paid the mortgage, and the most recent water, gas and electric bills.

"Hey." A gruff voice behind Gabe startled him.

"What're you doing here?" He asked, watching Jordan flop onto the sofa.

"Phoebe and I took the twins to school, but on the way to our school I threw up in a dustbin, so..."

"Do I need to make an appointment with the doctor?" Gabe asked. "It's been four days since you left school. Your teachers won't be happy with you missing so much time."

Jordan shook his head.

"Phoebe's been bringing me my homework. I've been doing what I can, and reading some of my textbooks. I'll catch up."

"Alright. Well, try to go in tomorrow. I can always fetch you if I need to."

Jordan nodded.

Gabriel went to sit beside Jordan, and flicked the TV on.

While Gabe switched to a re-run of an old sitcom, Jordan leant against Gabriel's shoulder and closed his eyes.

Gabe ran his fingers absentmindedly through Jordan's fringe, and felt beads of sweat along his hairline.

"Are you cold?" He asked. "Do you want me to get you a blanket?"

"No, I'm fine," Jordan murmured. He hummed quietly when Gabe's fingers stroked his hair again.

"Can I ask you something?" Gabe said quietly.

"Yeah."

"Are we okay now?"

"What?" Jordan sat up and twisted to look at Gabe, looking startled.

"Well... I don't know. The past few months things have been a bit..."

"Oh." Jordan sighed. "Yeah, I guess we're okay."

"So, what was going on?" Gabe asked.

Jordan didn't answer immediately.

"I just... You know teenagers," he mumbled. "We get angry."

Gabe snorted.

"Fine, don't tell me. But if it was something I was doing, or not doing, just tell me, okay? I'd just... like to stop arguing."

"Me too."

Jordan settled back on the sofa, and rested his head against Gabe's shoulder again.

"So, what's this new job?" He asked. "Does it pay well? If you have to wear a suit..."

"No, it's only temporary," Gabe said after a moment. "I dropped my CV off with a temporary work agency. I've had a couple of jobs from them, but nothing long term."

"I can start doing more babysitting work," Jordan said quietly. "Mrs Goldburg down the road is thinking about taking an evening Bookkeeping course. She's need someone to watch her kids every Thursday for about twelve weeks."