20

Gabe flopped down on the sofa when he got home, feeling exhausted.

He listened half-heartedly to the news for a while, before switching over to an old film.

A few moments later, he realised he'd watched the same film with Bailey a week or two ago and burst into tears.

He sobbed quietly, trying not to disturb the twins, sleeping behind their screen.

He finally exhausted himself with crying, and fell into an uneasy sleep on the sofa.

The next thing he knew, a warm hand on his shoulder was gently shaking him awake. He opened his eyes slowly, finding them sore and gritty with tears.

Gradually, Jordan's face swam into focus.

Gabe yawned and sat up slowly, rubbing his tired eyes.

"What time is it?"

"Half past twelve," Jordan said gently. "Are you okay?"

Gabe shrugged.

Jordan rubbed his back for a moment, before helping him to his feet.

"Do you want a cup of tea?"

Gabe nodded, and followed Jordan into the kitchen. He put the kettle on and got two mugs from the cupboard.

"How did the rest of the night go? Okay?"

"Not bad. They seemed to like it."

"So, how long have you been doing this?"

"About a month. Ever since I heard about the exchange trip. I've only done four nights so far." He fished into his pocket, and pulled out a small role of notes. He pressed it into Gabe's hand.

"What's this for?" Gabe asked quietly.

"It's my earnings tonight. Seventy quid. It's a start, right?"

Gabe stared at Jordan for a moment, before he broke down again.

Jordan looked at him in alarm, before reaching out to pat Gabe's shoulder gently.

"Sorry," Gabe choked out.

He turned away from Jordan, embarrassed at letting Jordan's gesture affect him so much.

He was surprised to feel Jordan's strong arms wrap around his torso and squeeze him gently.

Gabriel sank back into Jordan's touch automatically.

"I don't mind, you know." Jordan said softly. "I know you struggle with money sometimes."

Jordan released Gabe, handed him a mug of tea, and they went back into the living room.

Gabe curled up in the armchair beside the window, cradling his mug in his hands to warm them.

Jordan flicked the TV to a re-run of 'The Simpsons' and settled down to watch. He noticed after a few moments the Gabriel was staring out of the window, his eyes glazed. He watched his brother for a while, before he turned off the TV and went to kneel in front of Gabe.

When his hand touched Gabe's knee, Gabe started and looked down at him, blinking in confusion.

"For what it's worth, I never thought he deserved you," Jordan said quietly, half-wishing Gabe wouldn't hear him.

His brother's flushing cheeks showed he did.

Jordan leant up and hugged Gabe tightly, drawing back and kissing Gabe's forehead - God, he wished he were kissing Gabe's lips instead - before rising and muttering a soft goodnight.