CHANEL

Chanel is a privately held multinational company owned by Alain Wertheimer and Gerard Wertheimer, grandsons of Pierre Wertheimer, who had an initial business partner of couturiere Coco Chanel. The company was founded in 1909, based in Paris, France. The company employed 1,270 people in 2010 and has 310 locations worldwide. Chanel S.A. as a high fashion house specializes in haute couture and ready-to-wear, luxury goods and fashion accessories. The name Chanel is taken from the name of its founder, Gabrielle Chanel who got the nickname Coco since she became a singer. As a fashion designer, Coco Chanel catered to women's tastes in clothing with blouses and jackets, trousers and dresses, and jewelery (bijouterie) of simple designs, which replaced the constructive and extravagant garments and accessories of 19th century fashion.

 As a fashion designer, Coco Chanel catered to women's tastes in clothing with blouses and jackets, trousers and dresses, and jewelery (bijouterie) of simple designs, which replaced the constructive and extravagant garments and accessories of 19th...

The house of Chanel is known for its "little black dress", No. 5 de Chanel perfume, and The Chanel Suit. Chanel revolutionized haute couture and ready-to-wear—swapping silhouettes and corsets for clothes that are functional and flattering to a woman's figure.

By the 1920s, Chanel had made popular the "flat-breasted" fashion as opposed to the hourglass figure that had been trending during the late 19th century—the French Belle Epoque (roughly 1890–1914), and England's Edwardian Era (approx. 1901-1919). Chanel used gray and navy as associations of European masculinity, to show bold femininity. Chanel Homewear features layered fabrics and leather trimmings, the layered construction reinforces the fabrics, designs and finishes, resulting in garments that retain form and function when worn. An example of such a haute couture technique is the woolen Chanel knee-length skirt suit and cardigan jacket, cut and decorated with black embroidery and gold buttons. Complementary accessories in the form of two-tone pump shoes and jewelry, usually a pearl necklace and

 Complementary accessories in the form of two-tone pump shoes and jewelry, usually a pearl necklace and

History
Establishment and Recognition

House of Chanel (Chanel S.A.) was founded in 1909 when Gabrielle Chanel opened a millinery shop at 160 Boulevard Malesherbes, renting the ground floor of the Paris flat of socialite and textile entrepreneur Etienne Balsan. As Flat Balsan was also the salon for hunting elite French sporting goods, Chanel had the opportunity to meet demi-mondaine mistresses, who were women of fashion, from whom many men produced pieces featuring her wealth in clothing, jewelery and hats.