HERMES

Hermes is a French luxury goods manufacturer founded in 1837. The company focuses on leather, accessories, home furnishings, perfumes, jewelry, watches and ready-to-wear. The logo, which has been in use since the 1950s, features a Duc carriage with horses. Nadège Vanhee-Cybulski is currently the creative director of Hermès.

History The Beginning

History
The Beginning

Thierry Hermès was born in Krefeld, Germany, to a French father and a German mother. The family moved to France in 1828. In 1837, Hermès opened a horse harness workshop on Grands Boulevards, Paris, specifically to serve European aristocrats. He succeeded in making high-quality harnesses for draft horses and won several awards, including first prize in his class in 1855 and first prize again in 1867 at the Expositions Universelles in Paris.

Hermès's son, Charles-Émile, took over management of the company from his father in 1880, and moved the company's store to 24 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré. With the help of his sons, Adolphe and Émile-Maurice, Charles-Émile introduced the saddle and began selling his product to the general public. This company also managed to attract the attention of the upper class in Europe, North Africa, Russia, Asia, and America. In 1900, the company offered the Haut à Courroies bag, which was specially designed for horse drivers, so that they could carry their saddles more easily.

Era Hermès Freres

Era Hermès Freres

After Charles-Émile Hermès retired, his sons Adolphe and Émile-Maurice took over the company and changed its name to Hermès Frères. Later, Émile-Maurice began to saddle the Russian czars. In 1914, there were about 80 saddlers employed by this company. Émile-Maurice then acquired exclusive rights to use zippers on his leather goods and clothing, making the company the first company in France to use zippers for its products. In 1918, Hermès produced its first leather golf jacket with a zipper, for Edward, Prince of Wales. Because the company held the exclusive rights to use the zipper, the zipper became known in France as Hermès fermeture (Hermès fasteners).

During the 1920s, when he was running the company alone, Émile-Maurice decided to start producing clothing and accessories. He also trained his three stepsons (Robert Dumas, Jean-René Guerrand, and Francis Puech) to become business partners. In 1922, the company introduced its first line of leather handbags, after Émile-Maurice's wife complained that she could not find a handbag she liked. Émile-Maurice made this handbag himself.