Prologue: Birth of the Crimson Lantern

Humans are a diverse species. They can be born with varying appearances, from their hair and eyes to their skin. They can be short or tall. Thin or bulky. They have multiple languages and multiple forms of currency. But one thing sets them apart from the rest of the species on Planet Earth. But one thing seemed to dominate the species, their hatred for each other. Humans are the only species on earth that actively hate each other. The other animals on earth do not actively hunt others down for slight differences, but humans do, they kill each other because of differences in appearance, beliefs or opinions. They actively kill each other due to ego or pride. They've destroyed habitats and made species of animals extinct for their greed.

Andrew Ashton knew this. Every day he was bullied for being different. You see, Andrew preferred to keep to himself, because of this and his red pupils, he was often bullied. His stuff was stolen and destroyed. But he kept his anger hidden, bottled up within him. Until one day he couldn't hold it anymore.

Some cruel, greedy people had broken into the Ashton household, aiming to steal the charity funding his parents were collecting for the local orphanage and the homeless. But the family had woken up, and upon being discovered, the robbers shot both of his parents dead, right in front of the thirteen-year-old Andrew. Overcome with grief, he unleashed all his pent-up anger. His anger was so great, it attracted a red power ring.

Red Power Ring: Andrew Ashton of Earth. I sense great rage in your heart. You belong to the Red Lantern Corps now.

Andrew looked and saw a red floating ring right in front of him. Reaching out he grabbed it, but not before uttering some words that would change his future.

Andrew: "No... YOU BELONG TO ME!"

Suddenly the murders were knocked out by a floating red translucent fist. But after he did, tears began to stream down his face as he knelt by his parents.

Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern's Ring had alerted him to a Red Lantern attack nearby. Rushing over he saw the police were already at the location arresting two men. Walking into the building, he saw the red lantern, crying, over the corpses of two people. Walking closer, he saw who the lantern really was, a scared child. Hal calmly approached the child to comfort him, once he was in the child's line of sight, he lowered himself closer to the ground to let the boy weep on his shoulder. Paramedics had finally arrived and declared Andrew's parents dead and Hal took Andrew to the WatchTower to not only give him therapy but to also help train the boy.

Thus began the Story of Andrew Ashton.

The Crimson Lantern.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story's concept actually came to my head while I had a short conversation with Random_Tarnished

Go read their stories as they are an amazing author!

Andrew was originally going to be part of the Compassion/Indigo Lantern Corps but I changed it to Anger/Red because I thought it would be interesting if Green Lantern had a sidekick who wielded an 'evil' power ring.

When thinking a bit more about it, I thought of a saying. "Righteous Anger"

Basically, Andrew's anger is directed at those who dare harm others for their own gain or amusement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sneak Peek:

"Tell me something! Do you want to live a life as a mindless weapon or live it as a person!"