one

bill jumped at the sound of his locker shutting abruptly in front of him, he turned his attention next to him and low and behold his best friend gabe saporta being the culprit. gabe sported a big goofy grin on his face expecting to get some reaction out of bill, knowing he was nervous about the first day of school. 

"bilvy, am i ever gonna see you smile again? you havent been laughing at my jokes all day!" gabe pretend pouted at the slightly shorter boy. 

"gabanti its only 7:50, how could that have been all day?"

"i know im just messing with you. i just want you to be excited!"

"i know gabe, thankyou, but im just too nervous to be excited. theres so much people and you know how i am..." 

william stares down at his shoes and plays with his fingers for a minute. gabe notices this, and immediately knows he has to make this the best day ever for his best friend. somehow. 

"hey hey, why dont we just find somewhere quiet to go for a minute? im sure no one will take notice. and we can use the freshman couldnt find the room excuse when the bell rings."

he cracks a smile at william, hoping it will give him some peace. it definitely does. 

gabe smiles at him and bill immediately calmed down, knowing gabe cared and would make sure his anxiety went away even it was just for first period. 

the two boys had found one of the gender neutral one stall bathrooms in the new wing of the school, and quickly filed in. 

"im sorry if i cause any rumors about you since this is probably not going to be a one time thing and us going into a one stalled bathroom together is not going to give us the best reputa-"

gabe quickly threw his hand over bills mouth in protest.

"i dont care what anyone else thinks as long as im sure that youre going to be okay. fuck everyone else anyways we dont need them! but seriously bill, i just want you to calm down and be okay and i know being alone for a minute is one of the ways that will help you."

he was speechless. gabe really cared that much? he could be off finding upperclassmen girls to pick up and leave william completely behind in the dust but instead here he was sitting in a one stall bathroom with him comforting him. 

this is the best feeling ever. 

"what is?"

bill had completely just thought out loud. shit. what is?

"just you caring, gabe. you could be out doing whatever you want, hell, whoever you want but youre in here comforting me. it just means a lot."

"i dont think im doing anyone yet bill, but im always here for you."

"i think im ready to face high school for real now..."

gabe stood up and put his hand out for william to take, helping the skinny boy up easily. the two walked out of the bathroom together and immediately ran into a teacher. william immediately put his head down not wanting to run into any conflict, and gabe smiled and nodded to her. she gave the two a look but thanks to gabe didnt ask them any further questions. 

"you are an IDIOT." 

bill was giggling through his words due to the interaction.

"i dont understand whats so funny?!"

"she didnt even ask us anything because of your awkward smile to her!!"

"oh, please. what was she going to say?"

"oh, i dont know maybe 'were you two just having hardcore gay sex in our gender neutral bathrooms?'" 

"please bill we all know we wouldnt do that on school grounds. we have some dignity! plus isnt there some kind of rule about only handjobs in school bathrooms?"

"only youd know that, gabe." 

bill smirked at him as they reached the closed door of their homeroom.

"i didnt realize the excuse would seem a little sketch if both of us say it."

"she'll buy it, gabe."

"yeah, im sure."

gabe knocked on the door, and the teacher motioned it was open and the two walked in and found seats in the back next to eachother. they got a few looks but as gabe said earlier, they didnt need to think of what anyone else thought of them.