Chapter 2 - Talia

Flashback- 2 months ago

"What are you going to do?" she mocks. "Are you going to stay in this dorm for the whole semester?"

Laurel has bothering my since the week we first met. At first, I wanted to be close to her because she was my roommate. But now that I know her better, I regret it. For the past months, she's been trying to get me to go out. And who knows, mabey, she's right. I've dined alone and visited the same cafe a few times, but I haven't really experienced going out and socializing.

Since I'm attending Lexington University on a scholarship, I can't take the chance of jeopardizing it. I'm not in a state of poverty, nor do I come from a wealthy background. I'm managing financially, but I can't afford to take any risks with the money I'm saving through the scholarship. Even if it means staying on campus and focusing on my studies all semester to avoid any potential trouble.

I would enjoy spending time with friends once in a while. If only I had been more out there and made any. Unfortunately, the only person I truly know is Laurel.

"Of course not," I reply calmly, " I just need to get some homework done, then I'll be free to do whatever."

"You always say that," she responds, rolling her eyes, "I guess you'll never have a life."

I do have a life, I know I do. She's wrong, Laurels just upset because she's having a shitty day and needed my company to make her feel better. I make her feel better by being myself. When she looks at me, she feels better knowing that she's better than me. Compared to her, I'm nothing.

I tried going out with her once, only for her to abandon me the second she wanted to catch up with an ex she saw. I tried to be friendly, but I couldn't catch a break from her. She only hangs out with me when she has no one else, which is often. My quietness may push people away, but it's better than driving them away with an unbearable personality.

"Hello?" She asks, bringing me back to reality. "Is your head even processing what I'm saying?"

I do that at times, I tend to get lost in my thoughts. I consider myself an over thinker at times. Well, all the time really. And as much as I would love to reject her offer to go somewhere, she may be right. I could use a break, and this might be my only chance before exams come up.

I'm studying biology with the goal of becoming a medical professional, specifically a doctor. I know little about it, only the things I read. But trying to be a doctor takes a lot of time and effort.

"Alright," I respond , "Somewhere around campus only"

She starts clapping, as if she wasn't just insulting me seconds before I agreed. "Yes!" She exclaims, "I'll take what I can get"

An hour later and we're both finally ready. We decide to catch a movie at the nearby theater on campus, very close. I opt for a comfortable outfit, wearing baggy jeans and a white sweatshirt. However, when I see Laurel, I can't help but feel underdressed. She's wearing a mini skirt and a vibrant purple crop top.

As we approach the theater, Laurel starts flirting with the ticket seller, and I take a moment to look around. Despite being close to my class, I've never been in this specific area before. I never knew that there was an abandoned warehouse across from the theater. All of sudden, I see a man walking inside. I can't help but watch him with hesitation as he walks in. The situation feels suspicious, but I try not to dwell on it. Just then, Laurel interrupts my thoughts by handing me the ticket, and we go into the theatre.

The movie came to an end and I actually enjoyed it. It was the movie no hard feelings with Jennifer Lawrence and it gave me a few laughs. As we leave the theater, I spot the man from earlier leaving the warehouse. I stand by the door while Laurel gets the ticket seller's number, and I watch as the man drives away in a car. Had he been in there the whole time?