lost time

"Man, I fucking hate you."

"Yeah? I fuckin' hate you too, ya cunt."

"Do you know how bad my ass hurts, man? My chest?"

"Ah, yeah, why don't ya just bitch a little more, huh? Which one of us took the goddamn tacks and glass? Have ya even taken a look at my back?"

"Oh, you want me to check you out, do you? Do you want me to kiss it better, too?"

"Yeah, yeah, why don't ya just go ahead and pucker up, mate? Nothing would make me feel better."

Any time that Pac and Hangman were in the same room, it was a given that the two of them would bicker with one another. Whether they were merely enjoying the luscious catering spread that Tony always provided before a show, spending the day with their girlfriends, preparing for an upcoming match, or anything in-between, Pac and Hangman could (and most often would) find something to pick at each other about.

This was especially true during times such as this, when Elizabeth and Maxine weren't around. Pac and Hangman's loving girlfriends were currently waiting patiently for their men to have their injuries examined after such a long, grueling match.

Well, Pac had actually been cleared about five minutes ago. He claimed to be waiting for Hangman simply because he didn't want the younger male to loiter for too long, since they would be riding back to the hotel together, but the truth of the matter was that he wanted to make sure Hangman was okay.

Not that anyone would ever be able to pry such information from Pac.

"Don't you have better shit to do than just sit around here and bother me?" Hangman gave a short, almost mocking laugh. "Go throw hands with Claudio."

"That's the plan, yes, but Claudio and I will have our match on Friday," Pac mimicked the condescending chuckle Hangman had given him. "Which means I'm free to be a pain in your ass for the time being."

"I'm honored. Truly, I am so very blessed to have your time like this," Hangman raised a hand over his heart as he looked up at Pac. "What did I do to deserve a friend like you, Bastard?"

"I think that calling us friends is pushing it a bit too far," Pac scoffed as if the idea was absolutely absurd.

"Okay, I can agree with that. I just got caught up in the moment, overwhelmed by your kindness," Hangman cracked a rather shit-eating grin. "Out of everyone on Tony Khan's payroll that you could choose to harass tonight, you've chosen me. That makes me lucky."

"It does. I'm a busy man, Page."

"No doubt. Who wouldn't want to see a Bastard such as yourself?"

"Maybe you are smarter than I gave you credit for being."

"What was that?"

"You heard me."

The shared glares between them surely looked intense to those unfamiliar with the unspoken bonds between Pac and Hangman. It was fair to assume that their mutual hatred from the early era of AEW continued over into the current days, if the only interactions someone saw were ones such as this.

However, the truth of the matter was that there was no longer any hostility behind their gazes as they stared at one another. Pac and Hangman would never converse in the way either of them did with their closest group of friends – Pac with the Lucha Brothers and Hangman with The Young Bucks – but that was fine.

Pac and Hangman were friends, despite the fact that such a thing had been brought about by a necessity to keep their girlfriends happy.

But, at the end of the day, the two knew that they could rely on one another when it came down to it. Even something as simple as Pac staying to check on Hangman after their brutal match proved as much.

When Hangman's examination was finally finished and his (relatively) clean bill of health had been issued, he and Pac finally returned to their nervous girlfriends. Elizabeth began inspecting Pac's back immediately, her delicate fingertips skimming over the wounds with a gentleness that Pac himself was incapable of. Her touch soothed him.

"How're you guys feeling?" Maxine asked as she took one of Hangman's hands in hers, her eyes scanning his body for any signs of harm. Her eyes were always sharp and observant.

"I'd be a lot better off if we were back at the hotel and I could get away from this annoying Bastard. He wouldn't leave me alone back there," Hangman sighed heavily.

"... We're sharing a room, you dumbass," Elizabeth laughed from behind Pac. "I don't think you'll be getting away from him."

"I mean, you're even sharing a bed tonight, right?" Maxine chimed in, turning to share a quick glance with Elizabeth before looking back at Hangman. "That's what you said earlier, babe."

Pac and Hangman's eyes locked instantly.

"As much as I hate to break your heart, I'm not fuckin' sleeping with you, ya idiot," Pac spoke first.

"I never said that in the first place. I don't trust you."

"Trust me? I'd say I'm a hell of a lot more trustworthy than you are."

"Uh-huh? Which one of us walked out on our team tonight, Pac?" Hangman shrugged. "Wasn't me."

"Yeah, because you were out there with all of your little buddies. Ya know what I had? Nothing," Pac could keep kayfabe alive for the sake of their bickering.

"I think you just got scared because you were getting your ass beat."

"I was scared? Which one of us scaled the walls of that cage, huh? That sure as hell wasn't you."

"See, here's the thing. Matt climbed all the way to the top of that fuckin' thing with Yuta, so it wouldn't have made sense for me to do anything crazy. And I'm not a high-flyer like you are."

"All I'm hearing are excuses," Pac shook his head in disapproval before looking at Maxine. "Your little pony is a fuckin' pussy."

"Oh, fuck you, man!" Hangman scoffed.

"Fuck you!" Pac shot back at him.

As Pac and Hangman continued their banter, they were both aware of the sighs their girlfriends released. However, even as they gathered their belongings and made their way out to the car, neither male was willing to relent and be the first to call it quits.

After all, Pac had just returned after six months. They had a lot of lost time to make up for.