one day

"She came to see me."

When Kyle turns to look at Mark, he sees the brightest smile plastered on Dunkzilla's face. It's a nice look on Mark, the happiest he's been in a very long time, but Kyle still scoffs.

He knows who Mark is referring to. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

"Mate, she didn't come here for you or me or us. She's here for Liz. You know that. Her daughter's big title match is a hell of a lot more important than us dropping our belts."

How long has it been since Mark first became infatuated with Elizabeth's mother? Kyle can't remember the exact date, but he thinks it's been about a year now. Maybe less. Maybe more.

"Originally, yeah. Of course she's here for her fuckin' kid. Liz is doing great shit, and I know you're proud of her like I am," Mark continues to smile. "But believe me when I say that Amelia came to see me, too."

Kyle stares at him for a long moment. There's something about the look on Mark's face, something about his expression that seems more... grounded than it usually does when he speaks of Amelia. As if there might be a bit of honesty behind his words this time, as if Amelia had taken Mark into consideration when she'd come to Wembley...

"You're full of shit," Kyle rolls his eyes and gives his tag partner's shoulder a shove just as soon as he comes to his senses. "Now come on. We've got a title match to lose, huh?"

Mark laughs and then pats the tag title around his waist. "Yeah. Let's fuckin' kill it, ay?"

Kyle gives him a wide grin. "Let's fuckin' kill it."

Mark doesn't blame Kyle for not believing him, for not listening to anything he ever says about Amelia. It's hard for Mark to believe, too, that he's actually made some progress with the older woman.

And Kyle doesn't need to know about the sweet words that Mark and Amelia had shared in private, before Amelia had greeted them as a pair. Kyle doesn't need to know about the kiss Mark has been able to steal from her, either, or the way Amelia had scolded him for being so bold.

No, there are a lot of things that Kyle doesn't need to know.

Not yet, anyway.

But one day, one day, Mark and Amelia would share their complicated relationship with those closest to them. That day just wasn't today.