things will be better

His whole life, Pac has struggled with knowing when to push people away and when to let them close. When times get tough, when the world is just unnecessarily bothersome, his gut reaction is to isolate himself. To, at the very least, take some time away from everyone in order to decompress and gain the ability to look at his situation a bit more clearly.

Learning that he is going to be out of action yet again in the year 2023 is enough to make Pac drop off the radar for a couple of days. He flies home after a long conversation with Tony, brushing off almost everyone who cares about him in the process. He tells Elizabeth about what's happening, naturally, and he's grateful that she gives him space. Pac knows that she wants to do something, anything to make him feel better, but there's nothing anyone can do at that moment.

Pac arrives home in the afternoon. He walks in, places his phone on the table in his living room and then leaves it there while he stews in his own emotions. He turns the vibration function off and silences the ringer because he's not in the mood to deal with any of it.

It's not until the next afternoon that he walks back into the room, coffee in hand as he sits down on the couch that Pac eyes his phone again. He takes a sip of the warm drink, pauses a moment, and then lets out a heavy sigh. He doesn't want to deal with any of this but he knows he also can't go the rest of his life without touching his cell phone. Damn modern technology for making them all so goddamn dependent on it.

Finally, Pac swaps his mug for his phone on the table. He stares at the device as its screen lights up, a wall of notifications partially covering the photo he had chosen for his lockscreen. Still, he is able to see the image of him, Elizabeth, and their fluffy feline son, Meatball, well enough.

Meatball, who is currently sleeping on the couch beside Pac, doesn't stir much when Pac reaches over to give a gentle scratch between his ears. The cat merely releases a pleased purr and nuzzles closer to Pac's hand.

Pac goes to Twitter first. It's where he has the most messages, so he supposes he may as well start there.

DM from @WillOspreay:

We've had our differences and I know you fucking hate me bruv, but I hope you heal up soon. Think about knocking me on my ass and see if that makes your body recuperate any quicker.

Pac reads the message once, then he reads it again. The second read doesn't make him any less frustrated and Pac exits the screen without replying.

DM from @ClaudioCSRO:

Get well soon, you stubborn bastard. We have unfinished business and I'm not the kind of man to beat another when he's down.

Okay, maybe that's a lie. But I'll give you a pass just this once.

Seriously though, old friend, I hate to hear that you're injured. If there is anything you need, consider it taken care of, though I know you're far too proud to ask.

Take care of yourself, alright?

Claudio. It had been their match for the ROH World Championship that had landed Pac in this shitty situation, but Pac doesn't blame Claudio. Just as Claudio said, they're old friends and Pac knows that this shit unfortunately happens.

Had it been a match with someone else that had injured him, Pac might feel differently but he knows that he's just as much to blame for it as Claudio. There's no ill will there. This shit just happens in their line of work.

Pac thanks Claudio and tells him they'll pick back up where they left off just as soon as he returns.

DM from @YoungBucks: