The Angels Cove Chronicles (Chapters 54-59)

Chapter 54

"They just turned up at your house, on their own?" he asked her flabbergasted that they managed to get past Nick, "Nick was meant to be watching them" he told Jennifer down the phone as she recited the lie Nathan told her. Hearing this made Elias sigh, "If you wouldn't mind keeping them there, I'll come get them shortly" once Jennifer confirmed this was okay, he hung up the phone. He was furious that Nick hadn't kept his word in looking after the children, like he had promised he would and betraying his trust. He then phoned him seeing if he would admit he wasn't with them, "Nick, how are the children? Are they behaving?" to which he got a disgruntled response from Elias catching him off guard. Nick didn't answer him straight away, "there fine" the lie flying out of his mouth. Elias vigorously shook his head, "Funny, I just got a call from Jennifer Blood saying they turned up at her doorstep, alone". The dead tone at the other end of the phone spoke volumes, "I left them with Florence". Anger fuelled Elias upon hearing this knowing that Nathan justifiably hated Florence with a passion, "They despise Florence. That's why I asked YOU to look after them for me. I just didn't know your promises meant so little to you" he hung up the phone just as Nicholas went to defend himself.

Calming himself down Elias knew they would have to talk about this when they returned. For the meantime he was stuck lugging around the boys birthday presents, which wasn't easy with him trying to do this with the absence of his vampire strength. Eventually making it to Jennifer's house knocking on the door. She welcomed him warmly into the house glad to see him. She then went to the staircase and shouted, "Kids your dads here!" with the whole house falling deathly silent. The four of them then appeared on the staircase knowing they were in big trouble for leaving home, and they would probably be in more trouble once he heard about what they did to Florence, "hi dad" Nathan looked at his father full of guilt. "don't hi dad me, Nathan" Elias spat back at him, furious with them all. The children sensing the tension came downstairs prepared to get a lecture from their father, "how did you know where we were?". Elias raised his eyebrow at him, "Olivia's mother called me as soon as you showed up here on your own". The boys all glared at Sarah being the only one who could have prevented this, being able to compel Jennifer. Elias seeing this told them, "Stop glaring at your sister, she can't compel everyone who gets in your way". They huffed knowing this to be true, "But dad, he left us with that witch...". But Elias shut him down commanding, "we'll speak about this further when we get home, go put on your coats". Watching as the children hurried upstairs to retrieve their coats Jennifer turned towards Elias feeling that she hadn't done enough, "you can stay for a drink if you want". Elias returned a warm smile, "Thank you, but I got to go home and give my brother a talking too". "He was meant to watch them?" Jennifer guessed with Elias nodding, "He was supposed to, yes. Instead, he left them in the care of my sister Florence, who they despise". Jennifer let out a small sigh, "I don't blame them for running away. I've heard she isn't the easiest to get along with". Before he could say anything the children came back downstairs coats on and ready to leave. Olivia looking upset that they were leaving so soon. Jennifer led them to the front door, "Your more than welcome to come back here, with your fathers permission of course" she tried to lighten the mood but the children's melancholy faces remained the same. "Thank you for watching them. I appreciate it" Elias told her as they went through the front door. Jennifer smiled, "No worries, I'm happy to help a friend. Besides Olivia is always in a better mood after she's talked to Sarah and Nate, so really you're the one helping me". They both shared a friendly smile as Elias and the four escape artists headed back home to face the consequences of what they had done.

Shortly afterwards, the party of five arrived back home hearing Florence from inside using some questionable language. The children guessed she had been released from her magical prison. They then went inside seeing an enraged Florence shouting her anger at her younger siblings, stopping as soon as she saw Elias and the children spitting her anger at them instead "Those children are maniacal monsters!". Elias immediately jumped to the defence of his children, "don't talk about my children like that" which was accompanied by a firm cold stare. Florence scoffed back at him "They locked me up, they incapacitated my son and they ran away! They are pack of bastards!". This caused the whole room to gasp in shock, she had let her anger take over. A sudden death-like chill began to fortify through the house, as Elias shook his head at his sister "you can be mad at me, but don't you dare use that vulgar language whilst talking about my children". Florence viciously retaliated "There not even your yours!". "Were family regardless of whether were blood related, monster" Nathan snapped back exhibiting the same threatening tone as his father. Trying to diffuse the tension Kiera stepped in "Honey stop" Florence ignoring her wife's pleas "I've had just about enough of you boy!". Nathan felt anger in every fibre of his being "Oh yeah? I had enough of you six years ago when you tried to murder my little brother right in front of me!", the whole room deathly silent.