xChapter 50 - The Treasure Box

Several years back in the mid-late 90s, two high schoolers are laying on the roof of Starlight High in the middle of the night. One of them is a teen with black skin, brown eyes, and is wearing a blue '97 Starlight High varsity jacket along with a striped shirt underneath it and khakis. The other is a girl with short frizzy black hair, black skin, and green eyes. She's wearing a green '97 Seastar High varsity jacket over a black shirt, a red skirt, and black tennis shoes.

"So, why did you want me to come here?" The teenage girl asks.

"Well, I wanted to show you how beautiful the stars were Sally," The teenage boy replies before looking at the cloudy sky and adding, "But as usual, the weather is not on my side."

"Then maybe we could come back here, Reagan," the young Sally replies.

"Maybe," the young Reagan says before grabbing his nearby backpack and beginning to say, "Or maybe Miss Jones..."

The teenage Sally looks confused as the teenage Reagan pulls out a black Polaroid camera and says, "We could take a picture."

"You serious?"

"Completely," Reagan replies as he leans next to Sally as he takes a picture of the two of them together.

As the photo begins to be printed out of the Polaroid camera, Sally begins to ask, "Why would you need that? We didn't get to see those stars you wanted to."

"As if," Reagan says as he points towards Sally, "How could I be upset when I'm looking at the most beautiful star ever"

Sally begins to blush as Reagan continues, "You are incredible Sally don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And I hope my photographs can let you see how I see you."

The teenage Sally smiles as she grabs Reagan's hand tightly as she responds, "Thanks Reagan, for just being here for me."

"No problem," The teenage Reagan replies as the two continue to look out into the cloudy dark sky.

___________________________________________

Now in the present, the now adult Sally Everst is standing in her house looking at her son, Ronnie Everst as he asks, "Mom, can we talk about Dad?"

"Sure, what do you want to know?" Sally replies nonchalantly.

However, her demeanor changes as she notices Ronnie's eyes begin to spill tears as he answers, "I want to know who he was. Who he really was."

"Honey, what's wrong?" Misses Sally Everst asks.

"I barely know a thing about him! I don't know if he was as good as you say he is or if he was an awful person. For all I know he could've just run out on us-"

"Don't you dare say that about your father," Sally yells.

"I'm sorry Mom," Ronnie says, "I'm just confused... I want to know what he was like but... at the same time I don't."

Sally walks over and hugs her son as she says, "There there honey, listen I need to grab something so you sit right there."

"Okay..."

Sally walks into her bedroom and as she does so, Ronnie sits at the table and looks at all the photographs up on the wall. Most are either of when before he was born or after his father passed. There are only three pictures on the wall where the two of them are together, but he was so young at the time that he doesn't remember them. One thing he does notice is that in each of the pictures, Reagan Everst is smiling.

Sally Everst finally returns carrying a small toy wooden treasure chest with a note on it that reads 'open 01/23/2014'.

"What's this?" Ronnie asks.