The Start

A/N: this is my first ever attempt at writing fanfiction so excuse me if there's any mistakes or if the formatting is weird. also leafy is transgender in this (ftm)

Firey gazed at the vast expanse of the sky above. It always made him feel smaller in comparison, especially when surrounded by the wide open space of a lush, green meadow. The wind whispered through his ears, causing his fiery tips to flicker and the grass around him to sway in different directions. Since BFB ended, he has been plagued by a sense of emptiness, a yearning ache nestled deep within his chest. He couldn't quite grasp it. He had patched things up with his long-time friend, Leafy. They even found a new island all to their own, so he had a roof over his head and food on his plate. Although he didn't have a lot of friends, the select few he had, he got along well with. What could be lacking? He had everything perfect—almost everything, at least.

He hugged his knees close and looked down at his feet. A red tulip caught his eye. It was surprising how it was left standing, despite all the burnt grass around him. With a sense of curiosity, he reached out and plucked the tulip, cradling it in his palm. As he watched, the once vibrant petals disintegrated into ashes, slipping through his fingers.

"Maybe that's the problem..." he thought.

Due to his hazardous nature, people instinctively kept their distance from him. Him not being careful about his fiery nature is what made Firey and Leafy fall out in the first place.

He had no desire to go out of his way to change his circumstances, though. He found it more convenient to remain in his familiar state of touch starvation, despite its inherent dissatisfaction.

The comforting back rubs Leafy gave to their friends when they were upset or crying, the tight embrace shared between loved ones, the gentle caresses of fingertips on each other's skin... It was all unknown to him. The most "touch" he experienced was when he and Coiny were near each other.

"Coiny," he muttered.

He hasn't seen him in so long. He dug his nails into his knees and gritted his teeth subconsciously, the empty pit in his stomach growing larger.

"Coiny..."

The last time they interacted was in the pre-split. They took it more lowkey then because Loser sat them down and made them "talk it out," if you could even call it that. It was more constant bickering then choosing to keep their hatred more lowkey, like girls would usually do. Because they ended up on the same team, they often came into contact, whether he liked it or not. Firey couldn't help but feel a little funny when they brushed against each other or when he accidentally leaned against Coiny in a crowded group. Or when they hugged that one time. He didn't think much of it, though. It's not like...

A loud ring interrupted his stream of thoughts. He flinched with startlement and gazed at his phone to see that it was Leafy. He picked up the phone and answered the call.

"Hello?" 

"Hello, Firey!" Leafy exclaimed.

"What is it? Did something happen?" Firey asked.

"Pin invited you and me to a reunion between the TPOT and BFB contestants. She thought it would be a good idea since we haven't heard from each other for a long time. How does it sound?"

Firey felt a wave of anxiety and a jumble of emotions at the thought of encountering Coiny. His stomach churned with uncertainty. What would even happen if he went and came across Coiny? Would it be awkward? Would they go back to fighting as they usually do?

Wait, why was Coiny his first thought when Leafy brought up this reunion?

His hand subconsciously made his way into his mouth as he started getting lost in the possibilities and he started gnawing at his nails. The silent pause he took to contemplate grew longer and more unsettling.