Steps by the Sea

There weren't a lot of options when it came to entertainment inside Firey and Leafy's house. It was only natural, considering their house was located on a secluded island. The wifi didn't work, the television only had 5 channels available, and the electricity was rather unstable at times. It normally wasn't a problem for Firey. He had a lot of activities to do outside and lots of ways to pass the time, but now that he was restricted to the diameters of his house, it was very difficult to keep himself occupied. He oftentimes found himself sitting in front of the TV for hours on end, not even paying attention to the TV, just thinking and contemplating.

He tapped on the remote in his hand impatiently, hoping for something better to come on. It wasn't just the lackluster programs that bothered him; it was the confinement and isolation that had slowly started to wear on him. Firey sighed, realizing that no matter how many channels he flipped through, it couldn't fill the void that had settled in his chest.

Leafy's repeated calls of his name broke through Firey's thoughts, causing him to shift his attention abruptly. He turned toward Leafy, forcing a smile. "Hm? What's up?"

"I'm going on a walk; you wanna join?" Leafy asked. "Uh..." Firey hesitated, considering his response while his gaze shifted to the TV. After a moment, he shook his head. "No, thanks. I'm good."

Leafy sat near him and gave him a concerned look. Firey kept his eyes on the TV screen, pretending Leafy's stares weren't making him uncomfortable. Leafy scooted a tiny bit closer but kept a safe distance. "I know you haven't gone outside in a while. You've been acting strange. What's wrong?"

Firey shifted uncomfortably, his fingers fidgeting with the edge of the couch as his eyes darted around. He mumbled something incoherent, hoping it would be enough to make Leafy leave him alone.

Leafy leaned closer. "I can't understand you like this, Firey. What's wrong?"

Firey shook his head. "Firey!" Leafy exclaimed with a demanding voice. "You can't fool me that easily. I know something's bothering you."

"I just don't wanna go outside; it's that simple!" Firey frowned, and he pressed the volume-up button a few times. Leafy snatched the remote from his hand as quickly as he could and muted the TV. 

Firey raised his voice in a fit of rage. "What do you want!?"

"I want to know what's bothering you."

Firey shook his head. "Nothing. Now give me back my remote!" Firey lunged his arm at Leafy, trying to grab the remote. "Give it back!!"

Leafy pulled his arm back, then smacked his hand away with the remote. "No!" Firey crossed his arms and sunk back into his couch. His eyes drifted back to the screen.

Leafy scooted a little closer, their knees almost touching. He put his hand over his in an attempt to comfort him. He gave him a sorrowful look, ignoring the searing pain of Firey's heat. Firey pulled his hand away immediately after. "Firey, please, just talk to me. I hate seeing you like this."

"Alright! You wanna know!? You really wanna know!?"

"I.. uh.." He looked to the ground, and his eyes started flittering. "It's... I don't wanna tell you because you're going to think it's stupid."

"No, no, no!! You're my friend. I wouldn't judge you like that." Leafy reassured him. Firey looked into his eyes. "Promise?"

"I promise," Leafy said with sincerity in his voice.

"Thanks, Leafy."

Outside, the sounds of footsteps and conversations reached his ears. He could hear Coiny's voice mixed with other objects.