A Late Night's Comfort

It was late at night, about three in the morning. Stolas awoke with a sweaty and shaky body. He was breathing heavily, and those heavy breaths quickly turned to loud hyperventilating. He quickly looked around to find his phone. He snatched it off the end table and dialed Blitzø's number.

It rang three times before Blitzø answered. His voice was weak. "Stolas? Why are you calling me so la—" he stopped talking when he heard Stolas' breathing pattern. "Woah, Stolas. What happened? Are you okay?" he asked, concern messily threaded into his voice.

Stolas tried to take a deep breath, but failed. His lungs wouldn't let him even attempt to breathe normally. "No— I don't— I don't know what's happen— happening, just— can— can you come over? Pl—please, Blitzø?" Stolas struggled each time a sound came out of him. He sobbed a little in the phone. It felt like he was dying.

"Yeah. Yeah, just— just calm down, okay? I'll get in the van right now. I'll be on the phone with you the whole time, okay? Calm down," Blitzø said, trying to comfort Stolas as he put a jacket on to cover his naked chest. He ran out of his apartment with the keys to his van.

When he arrived at the palace, he said to Stolas over the phone, "I'm here. I'll see you in a second," with a worried voice. He hung up the phone, which he regretted immediately. Stolas was freaking out the whole call.

Blitzø jumped out of the van and ran into the palace, immediately being questioned by a couple guards. He ignored them and ran up to Stolas' room.

"Stolas! Stolas, what's wrong?" he asked when he bursted into the prince's bedroom. Stolas was crying his eyes out, trembling on his bed. Blitzø wrapped his arms tightly around the owl, hoping to calm him down some.

He had no idea why, but his chest ached, seeing Stolas in this condition. "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here. You'll be okay. It'll be okay. You're okay," he said in a hushed voice, rubbing circles into Stolas' back. The prince sobbed silently into Blitzø's shoulder.

Stolas slowly started to breathe normally again, and he stopped crying. He was still trembling like crazy, but whatever was happening was over for the most part. The two demons sat in silence for a moment until Stolas was ready to speak. "What... was that?" he asked quietly, his voice hoarse and shaky from crying so much. Blitzø looked up at him with a warm, comforting smile.

"I think you had a panic attack," he said, to which the demon beside him replied with a look that asked if he was dying. "I have them a lot. It's fine, it happens to a lot of people. I wouldn't say they're normal, but they're common. Especially after going through something traumatic, like you did just a few weeks ago. It's okay."

Stolas smiled weakly, lying down on his side. He looked at the time on his phone. "Oh, Blitzø. I'm sorry I made you come over so late. You really didn't have to. I'm sorry if I bothered you. You can go now if you'd like. I'm sorry," he said, worried that Blitzø may be annoyed with him.

The imp crawled to lie next to him. "You didn't bother me. I've dealt with these alone, and it's not fun. I wanted to help you. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have come here," he said as he pulled Stolas closer to his body. "I can stay here for the night to make sure it doesn't happen aga—"

"I couldn't have you do that! It'd be so selfish. I can deal with it if it happens again. You don't have to stay, Blitzø." Stolas shot up when he started speaking. His hand clutched his chest as he spoke in his soft voice.

"It's fine, Stolas. Again, I wouldn't have offered if I didn't want to. It's okay. You don't have to be so worried," the small creature replied as he looked softly at Stolas. It calmed him down a bit, and he smiled back at the imp beside him. He began to rub the back of the small demon's head and he started to purr, his face buried in to fluff of Stolas' chest.

"I love you, Blitzø." With that, Blitzø purred louder. It caught Stolas off guard, yet he grew to enjoy the sound. This was all he ever wanted from someone.

Comfort, happiness. True love.

He didn't want anyone who treated him like Stella. Blitzø didn't do that. He treated him good. Like a person. Like he mattered.

He didn't want something that was arranged. Someone who treated him like an object. No, he hated it. He hated that. He didn't know anyone who wouldn't. He lived it. But now it was over. He divorced Stella. He survived Striker's capture, and now he was in bed with Blitzø, but not for the reason he usually was.

Stolas' breath became shaky. He smiled as tears streamed down his face and he cried silent tears of joy.

"I love you." he repeated quietly, a smile on his face. Blitzø was asleep, still purring loudly as Stolas rubbed the back of his head gently.

He repeated the words silently over and over until he drifted off to silent sleep.