Ghost Chase Part 10

Soon after Matthew headed back towards downtown Seattle, the crew arrived. Matthews had a van marked "Ghost Hunters of Washinton State" and also an unmarked van that held the filming equipment. Unlike many ghost hunting shows, Matthews didn't have a whole team of "hunters" to go along with him and make surprised noises when they saw a shadow or an orb. He generally went it alone or sometimes brought along someone involved with the haunted place. He had a well-monetized Youtube Channel and my friend Victoria was one of his biggest fans. She was going to be furious that I hadn't called her about being part of his new Netflix show, but I wasn't ready to share.

Matthews asked, "Ready to go?"

"I just thought of something, do you want me to put on something more like a necromancer outfit? I'm dressed for a lunch date, not hunting ghosts."

He raised an eyebrow. "You've got me all wrong. I don't try to add drama to my shows. Ghost hunting is dramatic enough. I told you, I think necromancers should be less mysterious, not more. Wear what you normally wear. But Jenny will put a little make up on you. You don't wear any do you?"

"Only on special occasions."

"I'd say this qualifies."

I rode in the official GHOWS van with Matthews driving. There was a young lady named Mary with a camera in the back. I answered questions, but mostly stayed quiet as Matthews narrated what had happened so far and what our plan was. To surprise the ghost's great great granddaughter at her house in South Seattle.

When we reached her one story bungalow Matthews, Mary, and a sound guy named Bill went to knock on Beth's door. I was glad to stay in the van and let Jenny apply lipstick, mascara, and a little bit of blush to my face. I didn't want to see how good Beth was at acting surprised. Matthews was all smiles when he came to fetch me, so it must have been good enough.

"Miss Botlton, this is Genevieve Adair. She is the one who came into communication with your ancestor. We have brought a letter which was addressed to your great grandmother. It is on loan from the Log House Museum in West Seattle. Would you be willing to read it out loud for the audience?" he asked.

I could see a resemblance between Beth and Addie. They both had the same strong straight nose, gray eyes, and laugh lines on their faces, and freckles across their noses. Beth wore a button up short sleeve shirt which was pac man themed and black jeans. She wore rainbow colored Keen sandals. Her light brown hair was short and curly.

"Sure." Beth took the letter.

Dearest Mathilda,

I know I haven't been the best mother, traveling round the country with the show. All I can say is I love you and always will. I'm sure your aunt Hettie and Uncle Victor have done the best they could raising you. I hope they speak well of me despite my wild ways. I'm writing this letter in the event I don't get to tell you this. Your father was Buffalo Bill Hickock. We met once and had a passionate night. One that I don't regret and I hope he doesn't either. I didn't tell him about you cause I didn't want nothing from him. I do want you to have the gun that he gave me. You should have something from your father. I can't help but be a bit theatrical. In order to find it you first have to go to the spot where white men first set foot in Seattle. Good Luck.

Adelaide Bolton, your loving mother