3: Prefect duties.

Siobhan woke up with a stiff neck around 4:30. It was too early to go to breakfast. She tried to close her eyes again. Maybe if she just remained still, she could fall asleep again..

Around 5:15, Shiv walked into the great hall with a book under her arm. She was awake now anyway, so she might as well make the best of her time.

Sitting down at the Ravenclaw table, she saw only a handful of other students. Most were as alone as she was.
The elves must have sensed the first students because there were a small amount of breakfast dishes on each table.

Shiv buttered some toast, lost in thought. She had multiple topics she wanted to look up in the library after last night. For a start, she'd like to do a little research into all their family backgrounds.

Not because Shiv was a pureblood fanatic. She really couldn't care less who's parents had fucked in order to create a wich or wizard.

No, she wanted to see if there were any interesting stories. Scandals, secrets, histories.

She was particularly interested in researching the last name Riddle. Tom's prefects badge said T. M. R. and if she could find out what the M stood for, she was sure she could dig something up.

Taking a bite of her toast, she watched the Slytherin table. There were only two quidditch players with their brooms next to them, already wet from the early morning rain. She had to admit they were committed.

Shiv made a small list of things to do that day. She liked structure.

'There you are!' Flo's voice carried through the large hall. A look at the large clock above the entrance showed her it was 6 o'clock.
'You weren't in your bed and Juno was asleep at my feet when I woke up.' Flo sat down in front of her.

She spent the next half hour catching her friend up on the events of yesterday evening. Flo listened carefully and seemed incredibly excited for her.

'You really don't mind?' Shiv said sheepishly as she crumbled up a bit of toast.
'Of course not, Shivvy.' Flo gave her a small but confident smile. 'I'll join next year.'
Shiv didn't doubt that. The two bonded over their shared perfectionism.

Around 6:30, Tom Riddle and a few people she now recognized walked in. Tom noticed Shiv when he walked by. Methodically, he sat down on the bench opposite of her at his house table.

Shiv didn't know precisely why she was so focused on his presence all of a sudden.
He had always been there, at the school. He was well known to be amongst the brightest students Hogwarts had ever seen. Tom was admired and feared. Still, he carried himself with a nonchalant charm and calmness.

Shiv decided against the strong urge to hold his gaze, and focused her eyes upon Flo.
'We have potions, charms, and transfiguration this morning. I'm free after 2 but I think I'm going to be in the library till dinner. Want to join?' Shiv asked.

Florance sighed and let her head fall into her hands. 'I can't.. I have to tutor Anthony fucking Lestrange this afternoon. Professor Dumbledore paired us up. Why would he even do that? Lestrange is awful. And a xenophobe.'

'Because you're brilliant at transfiguration, Flo. You can make anything out of anything.' Shiv replied truthfully. Oh, the amount of times Flo had turned their pumpkin juice into wine..

-

Siobhan pinned her prefects badge to her robes and ran down the dorms to the common room.
She was almost 20 minutes late to the start of her patrol shift.
As the door to Ravenclaw tower fell close behind her, she tied her hair back in a ponytail. She walked down the spiral staircase once more and started her usual route.

As she passed the library, she heard a small giggle coming from a hallway to her right.
Following the sound, she was led down to the ground floor. She spotted a flash of bright red hair and recognized Meredith Clearwater, a Ravenclaw fourth year. Meredith was being playfully dragged by a tall slytherin boy.

Shiv chuckled and followed them, deciding to give them a few more minutes before she had to send Meredith back upstairs.

The couple drifted into the courtyard. Shiv knew she couldn't let them go outside. She opened the door and stepped out into the sharp autumn breeze.
It was fairly dark, but she spotted the two students sharing a hormonal kiss under one of the oak trees.

She opened her mouth to speak, but someone beat her to it.

'McFayden? Clearwater? Get back inside. Now.' She heard a stern voice speak over the white noise of the wind.

Siobhan walked further into the courtyard and saw none other than Tom Riddle standing at the other side, scoffing at the two kids.
She didn't say anything, just crossed her arms over her chest and watched whilst Tom took 10 points from both Ravenclaw and Slytherin house.

The two students, their heads down and looking awkwardly at their feet, passed Shiv and went back inside.

She looked at Tom. His eyes narrowed slightly. 'This is the third time I've caught them. You need to keep your students in check, Selwyn.'
It was true, but his tone was derogatory and it annoyed her.

She shrugged a little. 'Means you let yours get out three times as well.' She wanted to turn around and continue her rounds, but her eyes fell on the silver badge on Tom's chest.

'What does the M stand for?' She asked, trying not to sound too curious.

'Marvolo.'

'Grandfather?'

'You're nosy.'

Siobhan nodded slowly. It wasn't a very original insult for her to receive.
'Just.. curious.'

Tom started walking towards the door. Without looking at her, he asked,'What does the A stand for?'

She knew he meant her own badge. 'Artemis.'

They walked back into the school in silence. She was thinking of what she was going to say to get them to part ways again. But as soon as they were inside, Tom took a left turn and walked down some steps towards the dungeons without saying a word.

Really trying to figure out how I want to pace this story! Let me know any thoughts.

Love,